Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tailgate Lock Actuator Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 4.0L
Default Tailgate Lock Actuator Problem

My power lock actuator doesn't lock or unlock when operated from the driver's power lock switch.
All other door locks function.
The masterswitch on the driver's door panel is brand spankin new.
I removed the old tailgate actuator and tested it and it was barely functioning.
I put my testlight on the plug for the wiring harness and it lights up when I operate the switch.
I ordered a new actuator, I plugged it in and tested it and nothing happened.
I took the new actuator out and tested it and it works perfectly.
I retested the wiring harness plug and I still get power to it when operating the switch. What is my next step?
Old 12-05-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 4.0L

Well after retesting everything again I found a broken wire in the tailgate door boot that was barely making contact. It of course was one of the two legs that ran to the the wiring harness connector for the lock actuator. It must have been touching just enough to register on my multimeter when I tested it the first time but not when I plugged in the new actuator.

On the other side of things I had to replace the wiring harness door boot where the wiring harness passes from the body into the tailgate as it was cracked and dry rotted. I called a few dealerships and they said that before Chrysler phased it out it cost $60.00! After calling around to a few junkyards I found one for $17.00 used...but its better than nothing and should help seal those openings.

Now on to fix my fog lights...the electrical issues that plague this vehicle never seem to rest thank God the motor doesn't either.

I hope someone else finds this helpful.

Happy fault finding.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:32 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by irishyoga22
Well after retesting everything again I found a broken wire in the tailgate door boot that was barely making contact. It of course was one of the two legs that ran to the the wiring harness connector for the lock actuator. It must have been touching just enough to register on my multimeter when I tested it the first time but not when I plugged in the new actuator.

On the other side of things I had to replace the wiring harness door boot where the wiring harness passes from the body into the tailgate as it was cracked and dry rotted. I called a few dealerships and they said that before Chrysler phased it out it cost $60.00! After calling around to a few junkyards I found one for $17.00 used...but its better than nothing and should help seal those openings.

Now on to fix my fog lights...the electrical issues that plague this vehicle never seem to rest thank God the motor doesn't either.

I hope someone else finds this helpful.

Happy fault finding.
Thanks. And welcome to CF.