Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stupid Doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: IL6 4.0
Default Stupid Doors

Ok, so right now I only have 1 door (rear passenger) and the hatch that open from the outside, and that really sucks. What is the best course of action to rid myself of this problem forever...selling my XJ, and cutting the doors off are not options! LOL! Anyways, I could use some so if anyone has had a similar experience and knows the best thing to start/look for, please let me know.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Are you saying non of your doors work but the rear passenger and that you can only open you hatch from the outside. The rest of the doors work? My hatch only opens from the outside (87 model) so I can't help you there. If you are having problems with ther rear door. It is really easy to take the panel off. 2 screws on the arm rest and 3 screws on the actual door handle. Then pull gently on the panel it is held on with plastic clips. Inspect your inside door handle there are two levers connected to the handle one for the lock and one for the actual handel verify those are still hooked to it if so trace it back to the other side and make sure it is hooked the release lever. Hope this helps
Old 05-20-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

There is a rod adustment for the rod from the outside handle to latch that is accessed thru a hole above the latch mechanism. Loosen the screw (allen head) and push/release the button on the outside handle then retighten the allen screw. A little lube every decade or so works wonders also!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Get some intelligent doors.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:24 AM
CF SO-CAL CHEROKEES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988, 1999
Engine: 4.0

let me know how you do it because i am going to do it to my cherokee
Old 05-21-2008, 04:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Nice!!

I've been thinking about just going to a pull-a-part or another local boneyard and just getting "new" doors, because the bottom is starting to rot out on all of them-which is probably the cause of the linkages not working anymore. But, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to pull the panels first and atleast see if it is something I could fix. It's just aggravating. All except the passenger front door open from the inside atleast, so I'm not having to crawl across seats to get in or out.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Nice!!

I've been thinking about just going to a pull-a-part or another local boneyard and just getting "new" doors, because the bottom is starting to rot out on all of them-which is probably the cause of the linkages not working anymore. But, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to pull the panels first and atleast see if it is something I could fix. It's just aggravating. All except the passenger front door open from the inside atleast, so I'm not having to crawl across seats to get in or out.

Also, got this reply over on ORJ:
Originally Posted by mudman
yep, it is a known issue with xj's. all you gotta do is strip apart your doors with them shut (yes it is possible, just be careful). take the door latch out of the door. after they are out use GOOD OLD WD40 and soak the crap out of every part. use the hose and get into the mechanics of it too. let it sit for a day to dry. all that it is is mud, salt, and grim in it. i have not had an issue with mine since (knock on wood). I had to do it to my rear doors, it is my dd so i went to my trait (aka REDNECK) and used a ratchet strap to hold the doors shut while they dried . Buy a BIG spray can of WD. let me know how it turns out.