Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stupid design and damaging leak

Old 08-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Stupid design and damaging leak

My 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo is a great car with only 238,000 miles. I am second owner and its running pretty good. I have an issue:

There is an AC drain that comes into interior right below dash on passenger side (right). It leaks above the hose that comes out from a plastic box.

I tried all I know i.e., clearing input and hose

I am on the verge of totally using FlexSeal to cover up the leak which is destroying the carpet on both the front and rear passenger sides.

Cannot figure out how to get past this stupid little plastic box that the clear drain hose comes out of.

PLEASE let me know what I ought to do. I am big on fixing things right but this has me beat. I

It has a regular drain hose that is rubber and comes out below frame. It escapes me how they decided to put a drain into the interior. Its obviously an OEM design.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I had the same problem on my 93 XJ and fixed it by filling the space around the drain spout with blue RTV.

Not an elegant solution, but it did stop the leak.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

So this drain is clear?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:35 PM

I have same issue. Passenger side has had issue since I bought it. I had a huge carpet remnant that was useless for anything else, but i cut it into passenger side sizes and put it in to soak up the water. Change it out every so often. If I can just clear the drain, this is great. I'll see if mine looks like the video.
Hasn't been a huge issue for me since it is so hot here, it usually dries up on it's own, but still, I am sure it is rusting out the floor and the wife does complain about it from time to time. Let us know what you end up doing. I have same jeep as you do. 98 GCL 5.2

I'll let you know what i do. I'll take a look and see if I have this drain in video and if i was able to clear it out.

But I agree, crazy design to have it drain into the car and then out.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:19 PM

Thank you
Old 09-05-2016, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5200 cc

Okay guys how you doing? I just got my son a 94 ZJ limited with a similiar issue, massive water on the passenger floor whenever we used the A/C, which is all the time here in south Texas.looked it up and found some ideas then went to explore and found that someone had cut a quarter size hole in there, not really the perfect fix but gave me a way to look in there. I came up with my own answer, ready for this... plumbers putty. thats right went old school on it, cleared out the old foam and made a fat snake of putty to seal up the edge. You may be laughing but that stopped the leak and just covered the quarter hole back up with some black duct tape.
Good luck with yours.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:03 AM

Exclamation

Thanks for the creative solution and I hope it works for you. I planned on spraying Flex Seal all around where the leak starts. It begins in a small plastic, rectangular box fixed to the floor pan up high near the top. My concern is whether it will back up into somewhere else or just drain out the main hose.