Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Stoopid Headlamps / Headlights

Old 11-23-2008, 05:39 PM
X-J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995 2WD & 1988 4WD
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242
Default Stoopid Headlamps / Headlights

Ok so I get in to goto work, start er up, flick the lights on.
No Headlights Crap.
I feverishly flick, wiggle the switch. No Go
I would drive without them, but I might pisshoff the wrong person.
Check fuses, wires, relays , but a 95 dose'nt have a relay for headlights that i found it dose have a fuse under hood that checked to be ok.
-what was left to check was headlights but I doubted that both would burnout at the same time- but I didn't rule out my luck.
-ground wires & connectors
-headlamp switch & connectors

The switch & connector didn't look burnt or anything but i wanted to rule that out before anything else.
Oh hey i have this other xj ill just pull that switch out and try it out since i know it works ... the plastic housing is differnent, connetors are the same minus one connector.

short story i went to the autozone and bought a new one for $16 and it solved my problem,
moral of the story is even if the switch & connector are'nt melted it could still be the switch.
left 95 right 88
-can someone tell me what these relays are to/for under driverside dash on a 95 auto 4.0 ...
Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Theres a connection for all your front lights ie: parking lights, turn signals hi/low beams located near your air box, removing the air box (3 10mm bolts) you can see it, might have rusted out, mine did. my low beams just stopped working one day. Id check the condition of that connector and check for power at that connection to help you narrow down the problem. Hope this helps!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

extra connector is for foglight option...
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
X-J

Power Distribution
Relay Center
Power Lock / Unlock / Horn / Defogger / LCD Illumination radio / turn signal - hazard
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2008, 06:49 AM

I have a similar problem with my 95 XJ. I have park lights but no high or low beam.
I think that I might do as you did and replace the switch. Only problem is that I can't figure out how to get the switch out. Can you please give me some advice on removing the switch?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

Look up above tach/speedo, two screws to remove. one screw above lighter socket, and one more above headlight ****. may have trim piece to remove that fits under steering column (it just pulls out) then pull surround towards you. top will be snug against dash but it will come out. the headlight switch should have screws holding the small panel in, if it doesn't, feel on the metal side of the switch and you will feel a small metal button. you press that and pull the **** out from the front to remove it, then there is a screw with the hole for the **** to go through... you will need a wide screwdriver to get this out. after it is out the switch is only being held by wires so unplug them and remove switch.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 AM
X-J

Arrow

I was able to reach up under the dash and disconnect the switch, but i have small hands
-take off the lower part of the dash/knee panel to reach the switch & connectors
-the switch has a small button facing down ; push it in and pull the **** out of the switch,
-then unscrew the large nut holding in the switch facing you
-maneuver the switch downward . the switch will only go down so far with some force and is difficult to disconnect the connector from this angle, try a screwdriver to pry it apart carefully .
-there is also another one wire connector on the back side of the switch.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Registered Users

my 1994 xj has a similer problem. but when i pull the switch out the little green arrows light up insted of the headlights and the blinkers are acting like hazzerds any idea?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
X-J

Look and see if the plug to your headlight switch is melted, might have to take the switch out of the dash, and is a pain, if you have skinny arms & small hands you might get it out without taking the dash apart, but it will be easyr and you can see better.