Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steering shaft removal/replacemenbt

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Steering shaft removal/replacemenbt

- 1990 XJ, Power steering, AW4. The U-joints on the steering shaft are done for. So I purchased a replacement. I have a couple of questions about removal/replacement. Do I have to unbolt/remove the steering box ? The new shaft is the same length as the installed old shaft. I do not see a way to remove the old shaft without moving the steering box forward. I have seen some comments that the shaft is collapsible. Neither the new shaft nor the old one appear to collapse. I see where it could slide but I assume it is engineered to only collapse in a crash. Unbolting the steering gear is not a problem, however I need to plan that into the replacement time. If so I am guessing I need to pull the Pitman arm also. Any insight provided would be appreciated .

Thanks
Old 11-24-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U-joint replacement

Just wondering - are the U-joints replaceable ?
Old 11-24-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I have just done a front end rebuild on mine because I was getting a lot of death wobble. bad news you have to undo the steering box and kind of roll it backwards to get the steering shaft off but getting the new shaft on is a pain in the butt I would recommend undoing the pitman arm to make it easier also try and loosen the front bolt on the steering box to pivot the steering box backwards. Also use your seat belt to hold the steering wheel to save breaking the clock spring.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

dandxj, unfortunately, the little u-joints are not easily replaceable. Some have claimed to have done it, but for most, it is bought and installed as an assembly (steering intermediate shaft).
Old 11-25-2016, 02:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
dandxj, unfortunately, the little u-joints are not easily replaceable. Some have claimed to have done it, but for most, it is bought and installed as an assembly (steering intermediate shaft).
no no no...dont unbolt the box or the pitman arm !!!
turn till you can remove the clamp bolt on the shaft at the box end. then you can pry the shaft away from the box. DONT LET THE STEERING WHEEL TURN. tie it as mentioned. then see where you are.
i moved the shaft back to change a box so i know it moves.
it will fit the box shaft only one way, it is keyed as you will see when you pry it back.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
no no no...dont unbolt the box or the pitman arm !!!
turn till you can remove the clamp bolt on the shaft at the box end. then you can pry the shaft away from the box. DONT LET THE STEERING WHEEL TURN. tie it as mentioned. then see where you are.
i moved the shaft back to change a box so i know it moves.
it will fit the box shaft only one way, it is keyed as you will see when you pry it back.
Not sure why you quoted me. I was just letting him know that the little u-joints are not normally considered replaceable.

As for the shaft being able to be moved (telescoping), I see this a lot mentioned on forums. So all I can add is that on my 96 XJ the shaft is not collapsible, nor is the part I purchased to replace it (mfg by Crown). So, if I was to replace mine, I would most likely need to free up the steering box in order to get the shaft in/out. I have seen references to Jeep using a collapsible unit to improve safety for the vehicle occupants in a collision. But at least on my 96, this is not the case.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
Not sure why you quoted me. I was just letting him know that the little u-joints are not normally considered replaceable.

As for the shaft being able to be moved (telescoping), I see this a lot mentioned on forums. So all I can add is that on my 96 XJ the shaft is not collapsible, nor is the part I purchased to replace it (mfg by Crown). So, if I was to replace mine, I would most likely need to free up the steering box in order to get the shaft in/out. I have seen references to Jeep using a collapsible unit to improve safety for the vehicle occupants in a collision. But at least on my 96, this is not the case.
i clicked quote only to be faster and i was falling asleep,note time!!
hoped to save him the grief and really hard work of unbolting the very heavy box. i cant imagine why they make so many changes in design. my 2000 has the sliding shaft, oops my 98.
now i need to look at 2000. i cant see how it could be done by juggling the heavy box and the solid shatf ill stay out of this now!! sorry.