Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Starts then Stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Starts then Stalls out

I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, Straight 6, 4.0 Liter, 2Wheel Drive, manual. (edit: also has 225,000 miles on it )

about 3 months ago i hit a Deer with it, and it took out my front bumper, and my radiator, and a few lights . I didnt get around to fixing it until this week, so its been sitting for three months.

I replaced everything on the front end yesterday, and when i went to start the Jeep it would Turn on, then Die. Then i would start it again and it would turn on, Idle for maybe 2-4 seconds, then Die.

I took off the intake Manifold and Sprayed some Carb Cleaner into it, The jeep would then run for 15-20 seconds (until the carb cleaner was burned up) then stall out and die. I did this step 2 more times and got the same results.

So i think this points out that its a Fuel Problem and not a Starter Problem.

So i bought myself a new Fuel Filter and put that on. When i took off the old Filter there was nothing but Black Gas that came out the "In" Side of the Filter. I think its been about 50-70,000 miles from the last time i changed it.

Now when i start the jeep up it starts fine, it idles fine, but as soon as i give it Gas it stalls out and dies. There was a few times where it ran fine and i took it around the block, but then as soon as i got going fast enough to shift to 2nd gear it would Bog out, and stall out and die. It only seems to run solid for the 1st 10 seconds after i start it up. So i was only able to get it back into my Driveway by using that 10 second window, about 15 times in a row.

Any suggestions ? Could there be something wrong because it sat for 3 months ? Or could it be linked to hitting the deer ?

Jim

Last edited by jimlask; 08-02-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

It is possible the suction screen on the pump is fouled,it is easy to pull the pump and look at it. You might try some gas additive to clean the system up. Do you have the plastic vacuum bottle in the bumper,if you cracked it it would run bad if you are loosing vacuum,but it does not sound like that,something to check.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Ok, when i took off the bumper, there was some Black looking Baloon thing on the Pass Side just inside the Bumper.

I havent really looked at it, Going to go out right now to look at it.

I also noticed that i dont hear the loud "whirl" of the Gas Pump, like i used to when i put the Key to accessories, but its still getting fuel up to the Injectors.

Thanks for the reply, ill go see what it looks like.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jimlask
Ok, when i took off the bumper, there was some Black looking Baloon thing on the Pass Side just inside the Bumper.

I havent really looked at it, Going to go out right now to look at it.

I also noticed that i dont hear the loud "whirl" of the Gas Pump, like i used to when i put the Key to accessories, but its still getting fuel up to the Injectors.

Thanks for the reply, ill go see what it looks like.
Your fuel pump should not come on in acc. To me it just sounds like your fuel may have gummed things up.
my friends car set for a bit and it running when they parked it,went to start it the other day and the fuel pump is bad,yours sounds like it is working,but maybe restricted.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:21 PM

well after tearing apart the gas pump, re-checking the Fuel filter, checking the Baloon looking thing, my dad found a topic on here talking about a Circut that regulates the Amount of fueling comming from the Fuel pump.

I found it located Between the Drivers Side front head light, and the WindSheild Fluid (kind of above the Drivers Front Tire) , and sure enough it was unplugged.

We plugged it in, and BAM !!!!!!!!! it works again.

Thanks for your responce, and thanks Cheokeeforum.com

Jim