Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

Starts then Dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Starts then Dies

Hello,
My 01 Jeep Cherokee will start then die quickly after. Then anti-theft light comes on and shuts down the vehicle. when i say it runs i mean for maybe 3 seconds. Also i am getting the "No buS" code over the odometer readout....
help!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cookbrady845
Hello,
My 01 Jeep Cherokee will start then die quickly after. Then anti-theft light comes on and shuts down the vehicle. when i say it runs i mean for maybe 3 seconds. Also i am getting the "No buS" code over the odometer readout....
help!
Something is taking out the databus. It runs and shuts right off because the PCM wants to talk to the SKIM module to verify the transponder number of the ignition key.

Isolate and unplug not-necessary controllers from the bus to find your problem.

Things on the databus:

PCM
EATX (trans control)
SKIM
ABS
SRS
MIC (cluster)
radio
EVIC (overhead info console)
Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Do you know if this is a common problem or not?
Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cookbrady845
Do you know if this is a common problem or not?
It's common to me... I do it every day. This week it was a BR (Ram 1500) and an HB (new chassis Durango).

If you have a digital volt/ohm meter and you will actually spend the time diagnosing it, PM me and I'll walk you through it.

Without understanding and proper testing, finding a databus problem is nearly impossible. You can start throwing parts at it, but that gets really expensive.

Let me know.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:33 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Help please!

I'm having a similar problem with my 2001 XJ. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i6 w/ only 86,432 miles on it!

solderjunkie, I have a digital multimeter...Never used one though. I'd greatly appritiate any help you could give! I have a 99 XJ Sport that and have replaced the ECM twice already! Don't want to throw anymore money at my XJ...I want to FIX it! LOL. I think it may be the SKIM but not sure. If you could walk me though testing I'd be greatful! Thanks brother!
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 PM

I have a 2001 same problem key light on will start and run for 3 or 4 seconds then turn off. Is there any way to disband or delete security(skim) system? Dont want to take/towed to dealership. please help
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM

We have a similar problem. 2000 XJ with factory SKIM. Previous owner installed a Carbine system, apparently properly since it hasn't caused any problems, but I've turned it off since it's too irritating.

Anyway, have the key light coming on and the car shutting off after 4 seconds or so, but it has only been happening since the blower resistor blew. Time to replace the fan since we've gone through the old and now a new resistor, but will that cause a short/open circuit/other issue that could cause the SKIM to activate, or am I looking at two separate but concurrent problems?

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:59 PM

I have had this same problem intermittently for a couple of months. The Jeep usually starts, but sometimes just kicks off after 2-3 seconds, no matter how much gas you give it. There doesn't seem to be any correlation with weather or temperature. In any case, I'm glad to have found this thread. I've got a list to draw from.

I've been meaning to get a multimeter, anyway.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM

I just hauled it up to the shop. Our mechanic is a Jeep guy, and he had a few ideas about what might be causing the problem. Once it's done, I'll put what he found here.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Awesome. I just bought a high end multimeter and code reader. I'd been putting those off for a while, so I figured that I might as well shell out the big bucks here and now.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Default Mine is FIXED - well kinda

Once the mechanic pulled the codes from mine everything cleared and I have not had a problem since. There is something wrong with the anti-theft system (electrical system) and it would shut down the XJ down and cause the "no bus" issue. I've just stopped using my keyless remote (don't even have it on my key ring) and I have not had a problem since. If you continue to use your keyless remote and set the alarm you will have the same problem as time goes on. I just went back to old school with using the key and locking the doors when I leave. I love my XJ too much to get rid of it. Plus, my 2001 Limited is in A1 condition!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM

My 2000 is in great condition, and should be good for another 100k+ miles, God willing. It starts up sometimes, but I feel strange driving around with a OBDII scanner just to erase the code in order to start the engine.

Could it just be too much corrosion on the wires? Is there too much resistance on the system bus? I've checked online, and there are so many different shorts and issues that cause this problem, and I'm wondering if I'm going to just be trapped in the middle of nowhere...

Things on the databus:

PCM
EATX (trans control)
SKIM
ABS
SRS
MIC (cluster)
radio
EVIC (overhead info console)
Some people have also found shorts in door panels and such.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:04 PM

I replaced the instrument cluster grounding strap, cleaning up the connections. That appears to have been the solution.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Once the mechanic pulled the codes from mine everything cleared and I have not had a problem since. There is something wrong with the anti-theft system (electrical system) and it would shut down the XJ down and cause the "no bus" issue. I've just stopped using my keyless remote (don't even have it on my key ring) and I have not had a problem since. If you continue to use your keyless remote and set the alarm you will have the same problem as time goes on. I just went back to old school with using the key and locking the doors when I leave. I love my XJ too much to get rid of it. Plus, my 2001 Limited is in A1 condition!

Quick Reply: Starts then Dies