Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spectra Fuel Pump 98 Cherokee??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Spectra Fuel Pump 98 Cherokee??

Hello everyone! First and foremost, I am a new member and am glad to be apart of the Jeep community and this forum!

Now for my issue, I recently have been having fuel problems so I suspect the fuel pump is the issue. My question is, has anyone had any experience with Spectra fuel pumps? I have access to a brand new Spectra fuel pump assembly for $80 where as the Bosch is $200. I would really prefer not to spend $200 compared to $80 because I'm in the process of also purchasing a Spartan Locker....

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Rich
Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Rich,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help, especially on this topic.

There is really only one pump anyone is going to recommend here and that is a Bosch (Carter would be in second place). There is a reason for the price but look at it this way. You pay the $157 for a Bosch (found here http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....315943&jsn=395 and don't forget to use a 5% off coupon found on google) go through the work of installing it and don't have to worry about it crapping out on you prematurely. OR you can buy a spectra and not have that peace of mind because the quality isnt there. OR the spectra does crap out early and now you know you're not going to buy a spectra pump again so this time you put out the extra dough for the Bosch which, of course, you're kicking yourself in the *** for not buying in the first place. One of those "told ya so" moments. Now your in over $200 and doing the job twice. See where I'm going with this?

There's a good saying around here, buy quality and cry once. Otherwise you'll be crying more down the road when you tried to save a buck where you really shouldn't be.

For what it's worth, I just replaced my pump assembly in my 98 with a Bosch and it was certainly well worth the extra coin.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Well I think with your explanation there's not much to argue! haha Ill get the Bosch. Id rather not be stranded in the woods.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
Hey Rich,

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help, especially on this topic.

There is really only one pump anyone is going to recommend here and that is a Bosch (Carter would be in second place). There is a reason for the price but look at it this way. You pay the $157 for a Bosch (found here http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....315943&jsn=395 and don't forget to use a 5% off coupon found on google) go through the work of installing it and don't have to worry about it crapping out on you prematurely. OR you can buy a spectra and not have that peace of mind because the quality isnt there. OR the spectra does crap out early and now you know you're not going to buy a spectra pump again so this time you put out the extra dough for the Bosch which, of course, you're kicking yourself in the *** for not buying in the first place. One of those "told ya so" moments. Now your in over $200 and doing the job twice. See where I'm going with this?

There's a good saying around here, buy quality and cry once. Otherwise you'll be crying more down the road when you tried to save a buck where you really shouldn't be.

For what it's worth, I just replaced my pump assembly in my 98 with a Bosch and it was certainly well worth the extra coin.
Does Bosch come with the full assembly or just the pump?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I think Spectra pumps are repackaged Airtex pumps (the worst money can buy).

I installed a Carter in my '99 several years ago and it still runs quiet, holds pressure, and doesn't leak down.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rgr4475
Does Bosch come with the full assembly or just the pump?
Follow the link I supplied. It is a full assembly.

I think I'd feel comfortable with a Carter as well, especially if Ken vouches for it.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

My favorite is Bosch, followed by Carter.

Avoid Airtex or anything rebranded from them......a "search" on this XJ forum and others will explain why!!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:12 PM

Well then maybe Ill try carter. I will definitely stay away from Spectra and Airtex. I really appreciate the input fellas!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

No problem. Are you going to be doing the work yourself?