Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Some help with e-fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Some help with e-fans

Looking at another post earlier, I saw a fan that answered my prayers. I have been wanting to convert to an all e-fan setup, but I could never find a setup that either had good cfm or was just too much. Then I saw this:

14 inch S blade setup
2 3/4 in thick at motor
over 2150 cfm puller
Awesome

I also plan on swapping my stock 91 e-fan out with a 97 e-fan. Is there an adaptor I can buy for the different plugs?

Anyway, I want this setup to cut on with a thermoswitch. I DONT want a toggle, simply because I dont really offroad, its my dd and I want one less thing to worry about (on a Jeep, yeah right lol). I found a kit at autozone. Anyone have any advice on where to start with this? Thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Looking at another post earlier, I saw a fan that answered my prayers. I have been wanting to convert to an all e-fan setup, but I could never find a setup that either had good cfm or was just too much. Then I saw this:

14 inch S blade setup
2 3/4 in thick at motor
over 2150 cfm puller
Awesome

I also plan on swapping my stock 91 e-fan out with a 97 e-fan. Is there an adaptor I can buy for the different plugs?

Anyway, I want this setup to cut on with a thermoswitch. I DONT want a toggle, simply because I dont really offroad, its my dd and I want one less thing to worry about (on a Jeep, yeah right lol). I found a kit at autozone. Anyone have any advice on where to start with this? Thanks.
If you run two e fans you will need to have one turn on all the time so you would need to run it off the ignition switch and the other to come on with the sensor. As far as the plugs are concerned I would just cut the plug off the older fan and Use a butt connector on the wires coming off the new fan your going to install that would be easier then trying to find the proper plugs or you can go to a jeep dealer and buy both sets of plugs. If you splice the wires coming off the second fan then the second fan will run off your current sensor as i said you will need the one to run all the time as you regular fan would.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1987 new toy
If you run two e fans you will need to have one turn on all the time so you would need to run it off the ignition switch and the other to come on with the sensor. As far as the plugs are concerned I would just cut the plug off the older fan and Use a butt connector on the wires coming off the new fan your going to install that would be easier then trying to find the proper plugs or you can go to a jeep dealer and buy both sets of plugs. If you splice the wires coming off the second fan then the second fan will run off your current sensor as i said you will need the one to run all the time as you regular fan would.
The new e-fan has to run all the time? I thought the thermoswitch would have it cut on and off at certain temps much like new cars do.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

If you're running a/c and only electric fans, at least one or both efans need to come on when the a/c compressor engages in order to cool the condenser as it gets hot quick (a/c compressor engaged).

Also, I'm finding it hard to believe that the 14" efan pictured moves 2150+ CFM and draws only 7 amps. The 7 amp draw 14" fans I see in the catalogs move 1000 CFM or less.

Last edited by djb383; 06-24-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

guys this is what I put in my bmw and its been working great for over 6 months.
From this same guy to.

Derale thermostat and relay kit

If you look at his store he also sells procomp fans of various sizes and styles, I'm using a 16" curved one in my bmw, seems he switched to straight ones now.

You NEED a thermostat and relay otherwise the fan will turn on when the engine is cold and take longer to heat up and affect performance in the winter. PLUS when it doesnt need to be on its saving the life of the fan and power.

Here it is mounted to the shroud in the bmw, I uses a few L brackets and washers. DO NOT USE THE CLIPS THAT COME WITH THE FAN THEY WILL BREAK! I screwed L brackets directly into the plastic of the fan.

Last edited by darknezz; 06-24-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: pic
Old 06-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4000cc

Originally Posted by 1991jeep_man
the new e-fan has to run all the time? I thought the thermoswitch would have it cut on and off at certain temps much like new cars do.
put them through a thermo switch dude there is no need to leave them on they are only needed at slow speed heavy traffic to have them on all the time would be a waste of fuel however little it may be use the stock wiring for the second fan if it works but you can run a second feed to the relay from the ac clutch to turn them on if using ac
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

The best, most consistent, way to thermostatically control an efan is with a screw-in probe that's in the coolant flow at or near where the coolant exits the engine. That's the way auto mfgs. control efans....but it's usually not easy/convenient for shade tree's. I've never had good/consistent efan on/off performance with the thermo probe slipped into the fins of the rad........much better on/off performance when the thermo probe is placed on the upper (hot) rad hose and sandwiched between the rad hose and a 3"-4" long piece of slit rad hose held on with clamps or cable ties.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4000cc

x2^
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

i dont think your bmw gets near as hot as an xj does,That fan is lucky to run at 1000 cfms 7 amps noway.good luck-How do you want that motor well done or burnt dam commie crap!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Year: 1987

If you run one all the time and one on the sensor it will be no diferrent than the set up thats is stock. The stock fan a pulley runs if the motor is turning. However if you want to put both on a sensor you will need two different temp switches at two different temps. The stock e fan sensor on my jeep turns the electric fan on around 205 and also works of the a/c. that is why i sugested using the stock plug, so the second fan would work off the a/c also. Just a suggestion for you to ponder over.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

They make all kinds of efan temp controllers these days from unsophisticated on/off switches to top-of-the-line variable speed units. On the kiddo's hot rod we installed a Flex-A-Lite variable speed efan controller that gently starts the efan(s) and runs them up to 60% power (way less shock/load to the alternator). When a second (higher) predetermined coolant temp is reached the efan(s) are gradually increased to 100%. The controller also runs the efan(s) at 60% power for 45 seconds after the engine is turned off. Not cheap but works extremely well.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

Originally Posted by rich
i dont think your bmw gets near as hot as an xj does,That fan is lucky to run at 1000 cfms 7 amps noway.good luck-How do you want that motor well done or burnt dam commie crap!!!!!!
actually its 12 amps... and "says" its 2500 cfm
And your correct bmws dont like to fry their engines like jeeps do apparently.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Then what do I get? Most of you have bashed this fan I found and said it's basically bull****. I look for whatever I can afford; Im a college student that only gets so much a week and this is my daily driver. Without this Jeep, no work, no school. So if I find something like this that is relativly cheap, Im gonna get happy. Is there no chance what-so-ever that this fan cant do any of that pulling? If not, then what should I get? I cant afford to have my engine running warmer and warmer until finally it siezes. Damn XJ, im starting to wish I had never bought the stupid thing.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

this is the big fan from a 98 ford taurus dual fan set up. fit almost perfect into stock mech fan shroud. ran off of a 203 on 185 off thermo switch in top radiator hose. my jeep never goes above 205 daily driving. it hit 215 on a 90 degree day going 5 mph on trails for 7 hours. soon as stock e fan cam on it dropped like a rock to 185

got fan for $5 at junkyard and maybe have $35 in switch relays and wiring

Im cheap

Name:  0126101014.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  67.3 KB
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
this is the big fan from a 98 ford taurus dual fan set up. fit almost perfect into stock mech fan shroud. ran off of a 203 on 185 off thermo switch in top radiator hose. my jeep never goes above 205 daily driving. it hit 215 on a 90 degree day going 5 mph on trails for 7 hours. soon as stock e fan cam on it dropped like a rock to 185

got fan for $5 at junkyard and maybe have $35 in switch relays and wiring

Im cheap

Attachment 21169
Is the amp draw too much on the stock alt? I heard those taurus fans were real power hogs.

Quick Reply: Some help with e-fans