Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

snapped leaf spring bolt with pics, how would you remove???

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default snapped leaf spring bolt with pics, how would you remove???

so i was taking a look at my cherokee trying to figure some repairs, and i noticed the front bolt on the driver side leaf spring was loose, went through all the work to jack it up and guess what it's a snapped bolt
so now i have to figure out what I'm going to do since jeep is so awesome that the weld the nut inside the damn frame. I'm leaning towards drill/tap/die but if you know of a nut extractor thats big/strong enough or any other ways that might be a little easier please let me know. it's always something.
Attached Images    
Old 06-25-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1986
Engine: 4-banger

drill it out
Old 06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

X2 on drilling it and re tapping it, IMHO...Tj
Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

use a grinder and cut a slot in the frame mount just below the nut, then use a chisel and knock the nut off the frame. then just use a wrench on a replacement nut.

been there, done that.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Drilling it out would be a good idea, I would use a bolt extractor combined with heat from a torch before I would tap it. Reason is, is because you could damage the old threads if you don't get the tap just perfect with the old threads while your trying to make new ones. Sounds complicated but once you screw up the old threads you would have to tap it a larger bolt size. I don't know if you could use a larger bolt.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by caged
use a grinder and cut a slot in the frame mount just below the nut, then use a chisel and knock the nut off the frame. then just use a wrench on a replacement nut.

been there, done that.
and than what weld it back shut? do you have any pics of this method or more details, it seems like it would be soo much easier than drilling and tapping lol.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

dang that sucks i would cut into the floor or behind it to get it out that way you don't wreck the treads when drilling and soak the hell out of it with bpblaster or similar for a few days first
Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 PM

Year: '92

Originally Posted by a1racer
dang that sucks i would cut into the floor or behind it to get it out that way you don't wreck the treads when drilling and soak the hell out of it with bpblaster or similar for a few days first
This is what I did and it worked great, plus you leave your frame intact. That slot is open on the top so when you go through the floor you can to very little cutting.

I have some pics from when I did it if you wish to them?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 PM

i've been soaking it with pb blaster but i think i'm gonna end up doing like caged said and just cut out a small spot under the nut, knock the nut off and than just wrench a new nut and bolt in there and paint it up to help slow the rusting. idk maybe someone else with experience with this problem will give me a better idea.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by dtaylor21
i've been soaking it with pb blaster but i think i'm gonna end up doing like caged said and just cut out a small spot under the nut, knock the nut off and than just wrench a new nut and bolt in there and paint it up to help slow the rusting. idk maybe someone else with experience with this problem will give me a better idea.
Again, cut from above through your floor... Much much easier...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 PM

havensov if you can't post the pics here for myself and anyone else that has this issue could you please email them to dtaylor8821@yahoo.com. i was hoping someone would post with experience and pics. thank you sooo much.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:12 PM

With mine I had broke the welds of the nut, but ended up in the same spot you are.

Heres what mine looked like.
Name:  GEDC0261.jpg
Views: 3855
Size:  60.4 KB

I pulled back the carpet in front of the seat and eye balled the hole and drilled a hole as a start point, You will be very close the raised part of the floor that your rear seat sits on. About 5 or 6 inches in from your inner door.

Then wedged up the sheet metal with my sawsall and a pry bar. The floor sheet metal is very thin and easy to get through. Once through you will see that the sleeve that nut is sitting in is open on the top and you can get to it easily. Plus you not hacking into the braket or the frame.

Then pulled the offending nut out with a pair of long needle nose pliers...

Name:  GEDC0271.jpg
Views: 3245
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  GEDC0272.jpg
Views: 3191
Size:  24.8 KB

You will have to knock the nut loose and then pull it out.

Then get the new nut in the same way and hold it with the pliers. I put a lock nut on the outside of the bolts so it would grab once I got it tight.

I got the bolts and nuts from Tractor Supply Company here, by taking one of the good ones in and matching the size. they didn't have any metric but I found a harden one that worked and replaced both of mine.

Once done I hammered down the floor flat and used some POR 15 to fill in the rest, then relayed the carpet.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 PM

Year: 1998, 1999

Anyone ever try a Heli-Coil? They work well... I had to use one on an engine head bolt years ago that must have come cross threaded from the factory. Held up very well. A little drilling, tapping, insert the Heli-Coil and your done... Might have to get creative and weld an extension onto the tap and heli-coil handle...

Ahhh, nevermind, better stick with drilling the hole from inside the cabin. Do not cut a hole in your uni-body from underneath if you can help it. You will effect the structural integrity of the unibody.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

here's what i did.
5 years like this with some hard wheelin. not a worry.
i was able to stick a wrench in there and remove the stock bolt, then just replace it with a new nut.
i take my leafs out every season, so this makes it easier than welding it shut again, or going through the floor and welding a patch there.

but either or, you can go through the floor just as easy. but i have no carpet, and didn't want a hole there, or a patch for that matter.
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 PM

Year: 1998, 1999

Well I guess that's not as bad as I was thinking. I thought the nut was inside the unibody...
Mike

Quick Reply: snapped leaf spring bolt with pics, how would you remove???