Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Slow brake fluid leak.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L 4 Cylinder
Default Slow brake fluid leak.

Ok, so, I discovered just today that the front part of my Master Cylinder was low. My Jeep had been having softer brakes lately, and I was assuming that the brake pads/shoes were in need of replacement (something I still plan on doing)... but I am broke right now. Which really sucks when you want to fix something, but can't buy the part until next payday. Lol.

Anyway... I am familiar with auto mechanics. I cannot find my shop manual, and it is entirely possible that I left the thing at my folks' place last time I was wrenching. Which set of brakes does the front part of a reservoir supply fluid for on a 1993/1994 Cherokee? Model year is a 1993, but I have seen a fair amount of 1994 spec stuff on there. It's the 2.5L, 2WD, though I do not know if that makes any difference on the design of the MC, probably not.

Not sure if it is a rubber line, or a rubber part on say, a wheel cylinder or caliper, but a low MC says something is leaking to me. If anyone knows how the MC s set up in terms of what set of brakes it feeds (I am guessing the front half feeds the front set, but there is only a 50% chance that is correct). I could not see any leaks from the metal leads off the MC. To top it off, it is raining, so crawling up under there won't help me much right now, because it's all wet.

Any input?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

From what i've seen, if it has two individual reservoirs, the front one is for the rear brakes. Obviously they just do that to confuse us.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L 4 Cylinder

If the front feeds the rear, then I am betting on a wheel cylinder as the culprit. At least if that is the case, it is a cheap, and very easy fix. Been meaning to pull those drums off and have a look anyway. It'll take me a few days until I can actually get the time and money to drive to my folks' place for a look (I don't have a garage), but from what I can tell, Autozone stocks the wheel cylinders regularly based on the website, and they are $10 a pop. Will analyze rear brake wear while at it of course, and give everything a good cleaning out in the process. Now if I could find my shop manual, I could confirm, without getting wet and nasty. Lol.