Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

View anomoli's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Default Signs of a weak oil pump?

I have '97 with 153,000 miles. Lately I have noticed a low end knock when I start up, usually when cold, but also more recently when it has been sitting awhile. It is the same sound I hear after an oil change on this and other high mileage vehicles.

My theory is that the pump may not be holding a prime, and there is some slippage until started. My idiot light (no gauges) comes on for a sec after it starts and everything is fine, no knocking when running, except for a slight lifter sound.

Is it time for an oil pump replacement or kit, or is there something else going on?

Thanx for any help
anomoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

View thakmfb's Photo Album My Photos
1992 Cherokee

What kind of oil filter are you running? I would suggest running a mopar oil filter to see if this corrects your problem. A lot of lower end oil filters have sub par drain back valves
thakmfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #3

View anomoli's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee

Right now its a Fram oil filter from Advanced Auto, I will give it a try, thanx.
anomoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
aj6
Seasoned Member

View aj6's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee

i got the same thing going on with my 2001.. not when its cold but after ive drivin for some time and let it sit for more then 10 mins... there a 1/2 sec of low end knock when i restart, then it goes away... i dont think it enof to do damge, but still it shouldint be happenin... mopar fillter i will try as well
Old 08-07-2011, 08:05 PM

submit to reddit