Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 05-25-2011, 01:10 AM   #1

View twotall77's Photo Album My Photos
96 Cherokee
Default shuts off after driving for a little

ok i have a 96 Jeep Cherokee inline 6 auto. iv replaced alot of parts already and now it will run for a bit and then die. iv replace oil pressure reg and new fuel pump and o2 and crank sens and it have a new distributor and plug wires and everything. i know im a noob to the forum and what not but i rly need this info as quick as i can. i know it needs a starter soon but besides that it runs great. but to the problem. like ill drive it for a couple mins and then it will shut off. and then about 5 to 10 mins later it will start right back up. all my wires are plugged and iv unplugged them and clean them out and everything. the motor has been pulled from the owner be4 me and he said it was rebuilt. the motor only has 142k and the rebuild was done at around 135k. i love my jeep but it has been parked for longer then iv had the chance to drive it. and all i want is for it to run right so i can live the jeep life
twotall77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #2

View excess650's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Is your check engine light on? Have you had it checked to see what codes might be in the computer? With no other information I would be inclined to think your ignition coil is bad and breaking down as it heats up..
excess650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #3

96 Cherokee

i have. and iv replaced everything that sent a code out. and the light dont come on at all. i thought thats what it was but i wanted to make sure cuz i lost my job and its hard getting $ to by parts and what not. but thanks for the help. i rly hope thats all that i need.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #4

View petejeep95's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee

I would say crank sensor but you say it's been replaced it happens to me like that, few miles and went off for half an hour. Check the fuel filter maybe is clogged and don't let the fuel pass through plus is a cheap fix try. Good luck
petejeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #5

96 Cherokee

iv replaced the pump and the screen inside the take and the filter. the next thing im going to try is the coil. if that dont then im just lost
Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #6

View FL Denmark's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee

when it dies, and will not start upo again. then try remove a wire from a sparkplug and see if there is a spark or not. if no spark, the remove the midlle cable from the distributorcap and se if there is a spark there. if still no spark, i would also say bad coil. but if there is a spark there, then it could be the rotor that has a short when it warms up.

god luck
FL Denmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
CF Veteran

View freegdr's Photo Album My Photos
1989 xj sport 2dr Cherokee

my 89 also has a ignition module under the coil on older cars modules would heat up and cut off maybe same things happeng here seeing how youve replaced what you have ,
Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #8
CF Veteran

View tjwalker's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

The #1 cause of thermal (heat related) stalling is the crank sensor. You mention you replaced that. Did you replace it AFTER this symptom started, or did you replace it a while back? Reason I'm asking is that there are no lack of threads of people having trouble with certain aftermarket crank sensors. This is one sensor I always source directly from Jeep.

The #2 cause of heat related stalling is your ignition coil. They can be tested for primary and secondary resistances with a meter and a manual. You would have to test it though when the engine doesn't start. Testing it when the engine runs may yield data that is in-spec.

No ignition control module on a 96.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Past Jeeps: '49 ******, '81 Scrambler, '88 Comanche

Current Jeep: 1999 XJ Sport, bone stock, daily driver.

I work on Jeeps!!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #9

View HighRoller's Photo Album My Photos
88, 89, 93 & 99 Cherokee

Sounds like VSS (vehicle speed sensor)to me.... It's on the side of the tranny and is wired into the ignition. If it goes bad the jeep will run fine until it gets over 180 degrees and 1,800 rpms and then it'll kill all fire until it cools below 180 again ( about 5-10 minutes) If this is the culprit it'll only cut off when you have it in gear...
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #10

View excess650's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

There is only 1 VSS on a '96 and its at the tailshaft end of the trans on the L side. A 2nd was added in '97(?) or later.
excess650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
CF Veteran

View Bustedback's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Grand Cherokee

When you replaced the distributor did it come with a new pickup coil? By what you described, it sounds like a bad pickup coil. There was a TSB out for this problem back in 95-96 and a pickup coil replacement was the cure.
Steering stabilizers will not cure or cause death wobble, they only mask the real problem that is causing death wobble. Oil pumps do not make pressure, they create flow. Bearing clearence and restrictions make pressure. It's the crank sensor.
Bustedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #12

96 Cherokee

Well it's been a min but what I replaced was the cam shaft sensor and I replaced the coil so I guess I'm goin to replace the crank shaft sen. And if I do that and it still has the problem what els should I look into.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
CF Veteran

View tjwalker's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotall77 View Post
Well it's been a min but what I replaced was the cam shaft sensor and I replaced the coil so I guess I'm goin to replace the crank shaft sen. And if I do that and it still has the problem what els should I look into.
The crank sensor will likely resolve this. Without the input signal from the crank sensor to the computer, you won't have spark and you won't have fuel going TO the fuel injectors.

Buy it from Jeep. Don't take a chance on an aftermarket crank sensor, as they are hit and miss with their quality.

Past Jeeps: '49 ******, '81 Scrambler, '88 Comanche

Current Jeep: 1999 XJ Sport, bone stock, daily driver.

I work on Jeeps!!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #14

96 Cherokee

So the CPS can cuz the fuel pump to not send any fuel????? And if so then iv replaced alot of parts that I didn't need to replace :/
Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 PM

submit to reddit