Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

? On serpentine belt tension

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default ? On serpentine belt tension

Ok I got a question. I recently replaced my alternator and figured I'd replace my serpentine belt also. I sort of cheated to get it off, I removed my alternator which released tension on the belt and I slipped it off. Well the new alternator is on and so it the new belt. Now I need to adjust the tension as it's too loose.

I losened the top bolt above the power steering pulley, the bolt on the slider right below the pulley and the one on the back of the power steering. Is that all? Will I be able to "slide" it around? I ask because all three of those bolts are loose and I can't get this to budge...
Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

not sure if this is the same on a '93, but on my 2000 you loosen the bolt in the center of the idler pulley below the steering pump, then use the long bolt on the left of the pump that goes through the back of the idler to move the idler up and down to adjuts tension. Then of course just tighten the idler center bolt when done.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by deekay911
not sure if this is the same on a '93, but on my 2000 you loosen the bolt in the center of the idler pulley below the steering pump, then use the long bolt on the left of the pump that goes through the back of the idler to move the idler up and down to adjuts tension. Then of course just tighten the idler center bolt when done.
Its different somewhere after 98-99.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

On my '99, there is a bracket under the power steering pulley that is an adjustment pulley. You loosen the center bolt of the pulley itself, then there is a bolt on the top left of the bracket that you unscrew, moving the pulley to one side or the other, which loosens and tightens. Only 2 things 2 mess with. The long bolt on the top left brings the pulley all the way over so you can slip the belt on, then you go the other way with it to tighten'er up. When she is tight, then you tighten the pulleys center bolt. Not sure what you have going on but maybe that will help you.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

His isn't a 99. Appears to be a 93.

Again, completely different setups...
Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Like I said, I didnt know if his was the same because he didnt say. Maybe I missed it.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)

Just replaced my alt and idler pully on my 94 country, our earlier models belt tension is adjusted by the power steering pump, like you first posted. The adjustment isn't made at the Idler pulley or another pulley like suggested above. If all the bolts are loose on the pump, it should be able to slide up/down on that 45 degree ish curved track it's on. I just can't remember if there were three bolts or four, check and see if you missed one on the back side of it. One was hidden if I remember right.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

The bolt low and towards the driver side screwing in towards the center of the engine compartment is the adjuster. I believe its 3 bolts you have to loosen then start screwing that sucker in and only will tighten the belt.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Slick761
The bolt low and towards the driver side screwing in towards the center of the engine compartment is the adjuster. I believe its 3 bolts you have to loosen then start screwing that sucker in and only will tighten the belt.
Ok that bolt your talking about, I tried turning it clockwise, and counter-clockwise. It gets loose then tight, by turning both ways, my belt doesn't get any tighter...

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't move this power steering myself it just won't move. I'm so f***ing fed up with this stupid jeep. I can't drive it for a week without something going wrong with it. I'm ready to just get rid of this damn thing. This s*** isn't fun anymore.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

U got the right bolt. Just have to make sure you loosened everything up. Mine was like that too. Turn it ccw until its loose maybe 1/4 inch then try pushing and pulling on the belt. I have a feeling you missed a bolt when loosening. There might be four. I know at least two on the back side. If you don't get it let me know. I'll see my jeep later today and ill take a look.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Slick761
U got the right bolt. Just have to make sure you loosened everything up. Mine was like that too. Turn it ccw until its loose maybe 1/4 inch then try pushing and pulling on the belt. I have a feeling you missed a bolt when loosening. There might be four. I know at least two on the back side. If you don't get it let me know. I'll see my jeep later today and ill take a look.
You were right there were four bolts that you had to loosen. So it's loose, now what? I turn that bolt and still it doesn't tighten the tension on the belt. What am I supposed to do? Remove the belt from the power steering pulley, move it farther away and tighten it? Then how do I get the belt back on? This is why I don't work on engines. Give me suspension or brake work any day over this crap...
Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Spray some wd or pb... if you tighten the bolt it will tighten the belt. It happens kinda slow so be patient. Sounds Luke the whole things a little sticky.