Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Series of probs charging and starting

Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.ol renix
Default Series of probs charging and starting

Ok so I started off having probs starting my truck I would turn the key and get nothing at all but I heard the starter solenoid click. I figured it was just sticking and was just going to clean and regrease everything in the starter. So before I got a chance to do that I decied to wheeling. A mile from my house ( lucky for me) my truck shuts down when coming to a stop. I tried to start it again and had a very slow crank, finnaly got it started but the belt was squeeling like crazy and burning up. Got it home before I shut it down the squeeling stoped the only thing I noticed right then was the little fan on the alt was not moving. Went out this AM and got her turned over and now the belt or any other pullys are not moving just the main engine pully and of course lots to squeeling.

One thing of note a couple months back I had squeeling on start up so I tighten the belt a bit and it went away. Couple weeks later the pully/clutch on the ac compressor litterly blew apart....still runs the belt just a little noisey.

I need some opinions on where to start. First thing that jumped into my mind is did I over tighten the belt and blow the alt bearings also?

The direction I was goign to go is replace belt, alt, and clean starter.

One thing that confuses me is was my starter going and then my alt went also? Or did my starting prob start with the alt all along?

1990 4.0 auto
Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

The starter problem you describe and the seized up alternator pulley are an unrelated coincidence. Remove the belt and check all the pulleys for rotation. You will need to replace at least the alternator and the belt. Remove the starter and take it along to the auto parts store while you are at it and have it tested.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by Carl48
The starter problem you describe and the seized up alternator pulley are an unrelated coincidence. Remove the belt and check all the pulleys for rotation. You will need to replace at least the alternator and the belt. Remove the starter and take it along to the auto parts store while you are at it and have it tested.
X2. But I think your starter problem may be caused by a low battery caused by the bad alternator. JMO
Old 07-26-2009, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the reply I will get to work on that...I'm gonna replace the batt too...ugh more money!
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Update: So I got a new battery, new alt, new belt, and cleaned/greased the starter. Still have the same issue. Starts 50% of the time on the first key turn, and 99% on the second try, only once in a while to I have to give it more than 2 tries.

I'm thinking it is the solenoid on the starter but I'm not totally sure. I don;t really wanna spend the cash on a new starter, and if I get a new solenoid and it not that, money is wasted. Or should I pull a starter from the JY and try that? Or maybe it's something totally different?

Oh is it really worth having it tested at the autoparts store? I am reading these things come back testing ok but really aren't.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Does the starter kick out without you wanting it to? if it does it is the solenoid.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Year: 1991

First, make sure the battery terminals and battery grounds are clean and tight. Oh, and while you have the battery disconnected it wouldn't hurt to check the starter terminals also. When you are satisfied that all is properly re-connected, check for voltage at the small stud on the solenoid when you turn the key to start...if voltage appears but no action then the solenoid is probably bad.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Geesh finally figured out my starting prob! It was simply a bad wire. The small one that goes from the starter to the relay.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:19 PM

awesome im so glad you figured it out because you might of had the exact same problem i am having ... here i am new starter/alternator/battery later and still same prob... i am going to check that wire when i get home and if it fixes the problem then i definatly owe you one