Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Seat belt Buckle - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Old 02-02-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Seat belt Buckle - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport: My driver side seat belt buckle is sometimes difficult to insert and release with red button. Takes multiple tries, for example, to release. What is the best lubricant to use, if indeed a lube should be used? Or, any other suggestions? Thank you. (Uncertain of what to do, want to make sure whatever I do or use is compatible with the seat belt assembly, electrical part of seat belt and its communication, etc.) -- Christine
Old 02-02-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

Not sure about lubricant, but you can grab one from the junkyard. A ratchet and set of Torx bits should be all you need.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by cliffy
Not sure about lubricant, but you can grab one from the junkyard. A ratchet and set of Torx bits should be all you need.
Thank you, however, that is not convenient for multiple reasons. If at all, I can repair/restore this buckle, as sometimes it functions fine, other times it's sticks, I would like to do so. I appreciate this suggestion, however not applicable presently. Would be best for me if I can do something to fix it. Thank you for sharing with me what you would do as a possibility.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

No problem, when a regular door lock sticks people use powdered graphite. The idea of using a liquid or aerosol lubricant would be it possibly staining upholstery or clothes.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by cliffy
No problem, when a regular door lock sticks people use powdered graphite. The idea of using a liquid or aerosol lubricant would be it possibly staining upholstery or clothes.
I have powdered graphite, however in my experience, it stains easily all it touches, doesn't seem what i want to do in a seat belt buckle. I use graphite on locks, yes, however this is constantly on clothing, so think better not to if possible to use anything else, which can be wiped/dried. Thank you for the input.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I saw your reasons for not wanting a junkyard belt. Buy they don't really make too much sense? You are taking all this time to try and find a lubricant that works when it'll take 5 minutes to pull one from a yard and 5 minutes to install and bam. Done. But of course you said that's not your cup of tea. I can't remember what my local upholstery uses but he says it's hard to get. I'll give him a call today and ask him what it is.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

PB makes something called The Dry Lube (TDL). It's suspended in a liquid which evaporates. Stick the straw into the buckle and wrap a rag around it while you spray. The stuff is a little messy as in it splatters and when it dries it's white. It wipes off hard surfaces fine but I've never gotten it on upolstry.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used fluid film on mine. It worked great and two months later it is still working great.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:50 PM

Default Thank you!

Appreciated everyone's suggestions, found a spray (similar to the last two recommendations) and ordered it.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

I forgot to add that you may want to either try to suck any crud out with a shop vac or blow it out with compressed air first.