Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusted Frame Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rusted Frame Repair

The 1995 XJ that I bought yesterday runs great..no rust on the body. But I see now why he sold it. There is frame rot! I see they used sheet metal and screws to hide it. The floor has a hole that was poorly patched. I can make that right. But the frame looks screwy. I would like to know who put the new inspection stickers on it...unreal.
Is there anyone that makes frame rails? Or am I stuck fabricating my own? I see near the rear leaf they did terrible welding. It holds but looks ugly. But the rail running back...about mid section has sheet metal with screws. I will have to get under it again. But I have some work to do. Body is great. Drivetrain great even the interior is great....just the frame....
Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes- these guys make rust repair frame rails. You'll have to look or call to see if they are available for XJ's.
http://autorust.com/store/jeep?zenid...ouvqq3t1olmtn4

That said, if the damage is more than a small hole here and there, I'd give some serious thought to the project you will be undertaking. Generally what you see is only the tip of the iceberg, once you start blasting you'll find areas that looked solid are paper-thin.
Not that it can't be repaired, but you may be dollars ahead by finding another XJ with a solid undercarriage and blown drivetrain to swap into.

The person who sold you this- frame damage concealed with sheetmetal and screws- is a jackass.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"But I see now why he sold it."

Just wondering why you didn't inspect it before you paid for it?
Caveat Emptor, especially on an 18 year old vehicle known for rust.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks. I will try them and see if they make anything for the xj. If not. I will start fabricating.
I did look underneath. But it was hidden with undercoat. I noticed it today. Bad for me. I dont have the cash to buy another. So I will have no choice but make it right. Trust me. I feel like a complete idiot.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 PM

I went into the garage and got under it again. Are these a unibody? I checked the front and rear frame rails...shackles..etc. They are fine. Its that long body rail going back. A few sections of it. And of course some floor pan work. Is that frame rails running front to back? They seem only to be thick as floor pan metal?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TonyPa
Are these a unibody?
Its a 'uniframe', a combination unibody and frame. Both are structural.
Attached Thumbnails Rusted Frame Repair-uniframe.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Ohhh ok. I see. Well it seems it may be a little easier to fix then. I checked the actual front and rear frames. They are fine. Its more towards the center of the truck. I think I can handle doing that. Its in a few spots. I may buy new floor pans and just redo it all. It seems worth it since the body is nice and runs well. It has 122k on it. I was told then run for a while.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

It has 122k on it.
It's still a baby. Good luck with the project!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:24 AM

Just put new pans in, then you'll know what you have.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

For what it's worth....we have them here, pretty much rust free. Bruce at AAA auto wreckers in CC Ca. (95531) has 1/2 a dozen...at least. Or A1 ...

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-29-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
It's still a baby. Good luck with the project!
Oh, I didn't know that was low miles on a Jeep. I hear a slight lifter tick. Not bad. Just slight.

Originally Posted by Cnwxj
Just put new pans in, then you'll know what you have.
Yes, for sure. I have a very solid body, good drivetrain, and good interior. Its worth the effort. Drives a bit different than my wifes mall hopper. Nissan Xterra. My Jeep seems to feel strange. Hard to explain. Kind like it wanders in the front and back. Probably normal, its not real bad.

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
For what it's worth....we have them here, pretty much rust free. Bruce at AAA auto wreckers in CC Ca. (95531) has 1/2 a dozen...at least. Or A1 ...
Oh damn! Can I order the frame rails. I guess their called the uni body mid frame rails? I don't know what to refer to them as.
I would prefer to put nicer ones in than patch the ones I have. Let me know. Thanks very much!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

I hear a slight lifter tick. Not bad. Just slight.
Typical when they get some miles on them. It's common and harmless as long as it isn't caused by low oil pressure. Some folks have cleared it up with various additives like MMO, others just ignore. It'll run 300K miles easy, ticking away for the last 200K. Think tractor motor, lol. Rugged but not entirely refined.

My Jeep seems to feel strange. Hard to explain. Kind like it wanders in the front and back. Probably normal, its not real bad.
The front suspension isn't like any other car or SUV on the road, it's a straight axle with a locating bar, the front axle and u-joints turn full-time and it's old-fashioned recirculating ball/drag link steering with lots of sidewall on the tires. More like a HD truck than anything else. It was built for ruggedness but that's at the expense of some accuracy.
There is a slight bit of wander to them, I haven't driven one yet that hasn't been that way. It shouldn't be anything more than minor. If you have to work to keep it centered or have to keep chasing the steering, something's worn out.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

I PM'd Tony. No Idea if my local wrecker could/would ship.

Hey Chuck. A genital. persistent pull to the right, no unusual tire wear. Linkage and box are tight. Bearings and ball joints might be OK...any thoughts?

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-29-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I PM'd Tony. No Idea if my local wrecker could/would ship.

Hey Chuck. A genital. persistent pull to the right, no unusual tire wear. Linkage and box are tight. Bearings and ball joints might be OK...any thoughts?
When's the last time the alignment was checked? A minor tie-rod error can do that without being severe enough to show up as tire wear. Then again so can about 20 other things, bad tire (does it change if you rotate them?) bent rim, minor shift in axle position, rear axle or spring shift... If you measure from center of front rim to center of back rim on each side, are the measurements equal?
(and no I'm not commenting on a genital persistently pulled to the right ha ha)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi
measure from center of front rim to center of back rim on each side, are the measurements equal?
Cool, I'll do some checken', thanks! I'm not sure it's ever been aligned. (tre's have held up through years of washboard and potholes).

Ha^. Yea, I'd be lost without spell-check, and am with it sometimes too!

Quick Reply: Rusted Frame Repair