Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

$#*&$#! Rust. A rust/body/paint thread of sorts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default $#*&$#! Rust. A rust/body/paint thread of sorts.

Since I have a bit of downtime on my hands, I have decided to start on the '92 project. The floor is still spotless as far as rust, and the only severe rust is around the rear wheel wells and the outside skins on the rockers..

Here she is in all her original glory. Well, except for my $15 Lund Moon-Visor I snagged at the you-pull-it a few weeks ago. Can't really see the fist sized hole above the rear flare. High pressure automatic car washes were fun. The metal behind the wheel there was pretty much gone up to the first body-line too.

After the rust repairs on both sides, (the drivers side is in MUCH better shape), I am shooting for a nice "Sunburst Yellow" topcoat all around with the original blackout trim, bumpers and flares repainted satin black.

Flare removed and all the outer rust cut out. The inner wheel well was cut out and a new one fashioned from 20 GA galvanized then spot welded to the original metal again. Taking breaks between hand bending, hammering and forming 20 GA hot-dipped zinc steel into internal wheel wells, I was able to debadge the XJ and remove the "Sport" pinstriping. New style vinyl Cherokee Sport and 4.0L stickers will be slapped on after painting.

(Tsk tsk.. Welding galvanized.. Man up, Nancy-boy! Zinc is your friend!).

Here we are after about 3 evenings of templates, cutting, welding and grinding. All new 20 GA mild steel for the new skirt, wheel arch and all the missing metal behind the wheel up to the rear cargo area.

Still a work in progress as I need to finish the front and top of the wheel arch. Plus a bit more hammering and grinding smooth. Planning on sealing then covering the rear with aluminum diamond-plate so the final finish here doesn't need to be real purdy. It's all boxed in and very strong again. No more replacing rusted taillight sockets (again) due to the tire throwing water and crap all the way up there. Hooray!

Will keep updating as I get more done..
Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i would weld galvanized if i was using your lungs and not mine. i like mine
Old 03-18-2009, 01:15 AM
CF Veteran

nice work by the way
Old 03-18-2009, 01:29 AM

Thanks! It's been a journey. First time I really got to do some serious sheet metal work on my car too.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by a1racer
i would weld galvanized if i was using your lungs and not mine. i like mine
I know it's not a good idea at all. But, using my well ventelated garage and a fan, I kept all the welding fumes at bay. Don't try this at home kids.

Here is the final report on welding zinc coated metal...

“When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder that you see on some noses at the beach and slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will casue welders to think they have the flu in a bad way, there are no long term effects. Zinc oxide that is inhaled is simply absorbed and eliminated by the body without complications or chronic effects.”

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf
Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by diskman
I know it's not a good idea at all. But, using my well ventelated garage and a fan, I kept all the welding fumes at bay. Don't try this at home kids.

Here is the final report on welding zinc coated metal...

“When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder that you see on some noses at the beach and slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will casue welders to think they have the flu in a bad way, there are no long term effects. Zinc oxide that is inhaled is simply absorbed and eliminated by the body without complications or chronic effects.”

http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf
crazy i always thought it was toxic every welder i have talked to hates the stuff
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by a1racer
crazy i always thought it was toxic every welder i have talked to hates the stuff

I though so too until I googled a bit. Other than making you very VERY sick, it has no long term effects. I was concerned as I used galvanized for my internal wheel well and wanted to weld it to the original structure of my XJ. All the other metal is standard 20GA mild steel sheet. I scored a brand new, fresh from the mill 4 foot by 10 foot sheet for 15 bux at the local metal place. WIN! The galvanized was from a previous floor project on my 1984 XJ.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0 IL6

Nice posting and nice job.
Did the original flares survive or will you have to find another set?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by rustface
Nice posting and nice job.
Did the original flares survive or will you have to find another set?

The stupid metal strips that held the flares on were completely gone. I was able to save all 4 flares along with the rear plastic inserts. Had to grind out some bolts though.