Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rough idle w/cold start

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rough idle w/cold start

So this is my first Cherokee but not my first jeep. It's a 1999 Cherokee Classic with 197,000 on it. About a week ago it started to idle rough so I checked plugs, wires, and cap all of them were in bad shape so made a trip to the parts store and got everything replaced and it was better but not fixed.

Started it this morning with it cold temp here is 60 degrees. Was idling perfect until the motor comes up to temp it runs like crap and feels like it has a dead miss. So I took it for a drive and it seems to smooth out, pulled into a parking lot and let it idle, it was ok for about 10 minutes then started to idle like crap again then went to take off and it felt like it was surging as I pulled out then smoothed out again. Now I've read all about heat soak and the issues with the injectors but from what i can tell this isn't the issue so just need some thoughts here, possible sensor breaking down as it heats up? Side note I did clean my throttle body this morning and my IAC so any suggestions are welcome! Just wish this was as easy as my CJ's that just have a 4 barrel and HEI distributor