Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #1

View Kristel's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Replacing Valve Cover Gasket ('92 laredo)

Hi everyone!

I hope this is the right spot to put this. It looks for sure like I need to replace the valve cover gasket, but I've never done it before. It's in an easy location to work with (right on top with a few hoses over it).

Can any one here give me a step by step on how to do this so I don't have to go to an over priced mechanic for such a small job? Or know of a video online somewhere showing how it's done for a '92 cherokee laredo 4x4 4.0 straight 6 cylinder.

Let me know if you need a photo, I can get that for you to show you the gunky mess all over it.

Thank you soo much for any help!
- Looking for new local buddies in South Jersey to meet up with on weekends!

Kristel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #2

View jrhxj1's Photo Album My Photos
96' Cherokee

I just recently did mine. It's very easy. To sum it up, makes sure you have a scraper of some sort to clean the old gasket material after both metal surfaces.
Buy a one piece gasket (FelPro).
Have a torque wrench to put the bolts back to the right torque when you get it back together.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #3

View redhandstudios's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

I can not tell you how helpful having the chilton (or Haynes) manual is for this kind of stuff. Gives you all your tourque specs and what the bolt tourque patterns are. Bare minimum, print up a page off the net and have it in the garage with you so you don't forget. I also just did this replacement a few weeks back on my 4.0L. Takes about an hour to get the gasket off and clean the valve cover up. Good time to check to see if your breathers (the venting hoses on front and back) are in good shape, or if maybe you need to replace some grommets.
Good Luck!
redhandstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #4

View jd4x426's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

its a pretty basic install just remove all hoses and cables in the way then clean upo the outside of teh area so you dont get dirt and crap into your valves then remove the cover scrape and clean off all old gasket on head and cover make sure not to get any in the valves then clean out your breather elbow with carb cleaner or some type of solvent then reinstall and torque to correct specification not sure on what it is if you cant find it i will look it up in my repair manual then after that reconnect all hoses and cables
jd4x426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
CF Veteran

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristel View Post
Hi everyone!

I hope this is the right spot to put this. It looks for sure like I need to replace the valve cover gasket, but I've never done it before. It's in an easy location to work with (right on top with a few hoses over it).

Can any one here give me a step by step on how to do this so I don't have to go to an over priced mechanic for such a small job? Or know of a video online somewhere showing how it's done for a '92 cherokee laredo 4x4 4.0 straight 6 cylinder.

Let me know if you need a photo, I can get that for you to show you the gunky mess all over it.

Thank you soo much for any help!
You have a Private Message.

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com

RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/

If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech