Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing Throw-Out Bearing Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Replacing Throw-Out Bearing Help

Hello All,

I'm going to replace my Throw-Out Bearing this week. Any tips?? Help!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

if your throw out bearing is shot, your pressure plate and shift fork may be damaged also. so i'd look into replacing your clutch, pressure plate and pilot bearing while you're in there. and get your flywheel turned no matter what.

when i did mine, i needed to replace my fork spring also, had to order it from the dealer. put me back a day, so order it before you start. it's only a couple bux. and borrow a pilot bearing removal tool.

other than that, good luck with the two e-torx bolts at the top of the tranny. best to use about 3 feet of extensions, with a wobbler extension at the end.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Beside replacing clutch,pressure plate,throw out bearing and pilot bearing,which all come in a kit,have your flywheel resurfaced or at least check,they can get warped from heat
Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Hello all, here is the latest update. I pulled my tranny today. I didn't take me long at all. I inspected the throw out bearing. It was very loose. I shook it a bit and it sounded a lot like what I was hearing when I was driving. How snug is it supposed to be once installed into the bell housing? Another thing I noticed, is the transmission shaft supposed to have a lil bit of play in it? It moved no more than a 16th of an inch back and forth but not front to back. All the other components looked to be in tip top shape. (clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot bearing)
Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89

Originally Posted by LaredoBucket
Hello all, here is the latest update. I pulled my tranny today. I didn't take me long at all. I inspected the throw out bearing. It was very loose. I shook it a bit and it sounded a lot like what I was hearing when I was driving. How snug is it supposed to be once installed into the bell housing? Another thing I noticed, is the transmission shaft supposed to have a lil bit of play in it? It moved no more than a 16th of an inch back and forth but not front to back. All the other components looked to be in tip top shape. (clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot bearing)
As far as the throw out bearing goes,it should be tight while holding it in your hand,meaning no slop from the outer to inner race,once installed in the forks it should be able to move a little in the forks,the trany will have a little slop,if it is still out just put it in neutral a spin it a little and see if you can feel any grinding or anything abnormal. I hope you have a alighment tool to put it back together with. Unless you know how many miles are on your clutch I would replace it.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Seasoned Member

I replaced my clutch a year and a half ago. Everything was tight and still kinda clean, no wear anywhere. I don't have forks. It only slides on the tranny shaft and clips in one corner. Its one of these hydralic clutch units.