Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
cptcliffhanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98

View cptcliffhanger's Photo Album My Photos
93 Cherokee
Default replacing clutch

anybody have a link to a tread or a "how to" on replacing a clutch in a 4.0 XJ (5 speed obviously)

getting ready to swap mine out, and it can help to read through these before going at it..

Stephan
cptcliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
CF Veteran
 
Abovetimberline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chico,ca
Posts: 2,158

View Abovetimberline's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee
Default

I would get yourself a good manual,fsm,haynes,chiltons.
__________________
Marry the right person it will determine 95 percent of your happiness or misery. Remember that old saying,you can be right or you can be happy,I choose happy.
89 xj in progress D44,4"x 2" lift
72 Restored chevy truck 4x4,lockers,built 350,approx 400 hp.
Abovetimberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
cptcliffhanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98

View cptcliffhanger's Photo Album My Photos
93 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abovetimberline View Post
I would get yourself a good manual,fsm,haynes,chiltons.

Why do you subscribe to an Internet forum if you can just buy a book and get all the info you ever needed?

Naturally I could buy a book, in this case I would have posted the question to my librarian instead of the Internet.
cptcliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Member
 
MASTERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 116

View MASTERS's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee
Default

cuz the book doesnt have everything! but its an awesome tool to have for yourself, use the forum for the rest!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Seasoned Member
 
kidkodiak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW Washington State
Posts: 438

View kidkodiak's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee
Default

Why the pissy response to a guy who's just trying to help?
__________________
-- 1990 Cherokee Laredo, 260K and still truckin'!
-- 2001 Cherokee Sport, pavement princess at 60K miles.
kidkodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
CF Veteran
 
Abovetimberline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chico,ca
Posts: 2,158

View Abovetimberline's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcliffhanger View Post
Why do you subscribe to an Internet forum if you can just buy a book and get all the info you ever needed?

Naturally I could buy a book, in this case I would have posted the question to my librarian instead of the Internet.
Because you are asking for info on how to get from one point to another,maybe you should of ask,I would like someone tell me how to change my clutch instead of buying a manual.
I could tell you step by step and all the tools you would need,but if you have a manual you can learn alot more from it than just changing a clutch. This forum is about helping folks,the manual idea was my suggestion or a way to help you.
Good luck
__________________
Marry the right person it will determine 95 percent of your happiness or misery. Remember that old saying,you can be right or you can be happy,I choose happy.
89 xj in progress D44,4"x 2" lift
72 Restored chevy truck 4x4,lockers,built 350,approx 400 hp.
Abovetimberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 850

View xjbones's Photo Album My Photos
91 with lots of 01' parts Cherokee
Default

a book would help clear up any info you get from here you dont quite understand.....search feature works good too.

its pretty cut and dry...take it out and put it in

you will learn quick that pissy responses to advice wont get you very far around here. i know i did the same thing, but i learned that everyone is trying to help, not steer you somewhere else.

Last edited by xjbones; 09-02-2009 at 04:37 PM.
xjbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
cptcliffhanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98

View cptcliffhanger's Photo Album My Photos
93 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkodiak View Post
Why the pissy response to a guy who's just trying to help?
I don't know, I guess I think it's funny now when people ignore your actual question in forums. seems to happens a lot.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/rearmain/

here's an example of what i was looking for.. there's lots of good stuff on the internet, and I was hoping to stumble upon more of it..

Anyways, sorry for being short with Mr. Abovetimberline. I'm gonna press on with my Internet search for neat tips and ideas.

Sorry again for stirring the pot.

Stephan
cptcliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
CF Veteran
 
Abovetimberline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chico,ca
Posts: 2,158

View Abovetimberline's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcliffhanger View Post
I don't know, I guess I think it's funny now when people ignore your actual question in forums. seems to happens a lot.

http://www.jeepin.com/features/rearmain/

here's an example of what i was looking for.. there's lots of good stuff on the internet, and I was hoping to stumble upon more of it..

Anyways, sorry for being short with Mr. Abovetimberline. I'm gonna press on with my Internet search for neat tips and ideas.

Sorry again for stirring the pot.

Stephan
Here just to help and so you know there is nothing personal here.
Get a good trany jack,makes life much easier.
1. Disconect both driveshafts from the diffs.
2. Disconect all sensors and speedo from trany and xfercase and linkages
3. Drain fluids from both trany and xfercase,as to prevent spillage.
4. Disconect shifter from trany
5. Support trany with jack and remove cross member bolts.
6. Remove starter and hyd lines to slave cylinder.
7. Lower trany an xfercase down enough to get top bolts out.
8. Raise trany back up and remove remaining bellhousing bolts.
9. Patiently and slowly move trany back and down and out of the way
10. unbolt pressure plate and remove it a clutch.
11. remove flywheel and have it resurfaced at the machine shop,there is a good chance you will need an impact for the flywheel bolts.
12. Your exhaust will need to be removed also enough to get trany out.
13. You will find it easier if you seperate the xfer case from the trany,they are very heavy and awkward.
14 reverse the steps.
15 I am sure there is something I have missed,so I suggest you get as good manual to assist you.
16. This is how I go about it and there is other ideas and ways and problems along the way.
__________________
Marry the right person it will determine 95 percent of your happiness or misery. Remember that old saying,you can be right or you can be happy,I choose happy.
89 xj in progress D44,4"x 2" lift
72 Restored chevy truck 4x4,lockers,built 350,approx 400 hp.

Last edited by Abovetimberline; 09-02-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Abovetimberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
cptcliffhanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98

View cptcliffhanger's Photo Album My Photos
93 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbones View Post
a book would help clear up any info you get from here you dont quite understand.....search feature works good too.

its pretty cut and dry...take it out and put it in

you will learn quick that pissy responses to advice wont get you very far around here. i know i did the same thing, but i learned that everyone is trying to help, not steer you somewhere else.
Yeah I know. books are useful. not arguing that. understand the logic behind pissy responses. sorry again for coming off "pissy"

seriously though. am i the only one who gets annoyed when people are quick to respond with a non answer? "I would get yourself a good manual,fsm,haynes,chiltons." as if I was completely unaware of the existence of repair manuals and was completely out of line for bringing it up without having purchased every XJ related book and read them cover to cover first before bothering anybody with some guidance on the internet. I'm sorry for taking up your valuable time by posting a question on a forum where people log in to get a fair exchange of questions and answers. Now I'm all wound up! there are quite a few tasks that I have completed on my XJ without a manual. If any of you have questions about mounting a factory hitch, replacing your oil pan or valve cover gasket, water pump or radiator, turning your "gross polluter" into a smog passing machine, replacing motor mounts, or rod bearings, I'd be happy to answer your question even if it could be found in a book.

now I'm grumpy.

Stephan
cptcliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
cptcliffhanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98

View cptcliffhanger's Photo Album My Photos
93 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abovetimberline View Post
Here just to help and so you know there is nothing personal here.
Get a good trany jack,makes life much easier.
1. Disconect both driveshafts from the diffs.
2. Disconect all sensors and speedo from trany and xfercase and linkages
3. Drain fluids from both trany and xfercase,as to prevent spillage.
4. Disconect shifter from trany
5. Support trany with jack and remove cross member bolts.
6. Remove starter and hyd lines to slave cylinder.
7. Lower trany an xfercase down enough to get top bolts out.
8. Raise trany back up and remove remaining bellhousing bolts.
9. Patiently and slowly move trany back and down and out of the way
10. unbolt pressure plate and remove it a clutch.
11. remove flywheel and have it resurfaced at the machine shop,there is a good chance you will need an impact for the flywheel bolts.
12. Your exhaust will need to be removed also enough to get trany out.
13. You will find it easier if you seperate the xfer case from the trany,they are very heavy and awkward.
14 reverse the steps.
15 I am sure there is something I have missed,so I suggest you get as good manual to assist you.
16. This is how I go about it and there is other ideas and ways and problems along the way.
Thank you.. That is very helpful.

Cordially,

Stephan
cptcliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 850

View xjbones's Photo Album My Photos
91 with lots of 01' parts Cherokee
Default

i def get annoyed when people just say search....alot of people dont know about the search feature so im guessing thats why we say it. not trying to attack you. unwind and dont get grumpy!!!

abovetimberline pretty much has it nailed. top two bolts on the bellhousing are kind of a PITA! they are inverted torx so you will need a special socket.

Last edited by xjbones; 09-02-2009 at 06:02 PM.
xjbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
CF Veteran
 
Abovetimberline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chico,ca
Posts: 2,158

View Abovetimberline's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcliffhanger View Post
Thank you.. That is very helpful.

Cordially,

Stephan
Not a problem,we will all be here to if you have any problems.
__________________
Marry the right person it will determine 95 percent of your happiness or misery. Remember that old saying,you can be right or you can be happy,I choose happy.
89 xj in progress D44,4"x 2" lift
72 Restored chevy truck 4x4,lockers,built 350,approx 400 hp.
Abovetimberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
cptcliffhanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 98

View cptcliffhanger's Photo Album My Photos
93 Cherokee
Default

clutch kit came with a new slave cyl.. anything fancy about this?? will it need to be bled? or is it plug and play?

inverted torx huh?? SOB! wait, what is that, does a 12 point socket fit on that?
cptcliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
CF Veteran
 
Abovetimberline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chico,ca
Posts: 2,158

View Abovetimberline's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee
Default

yes it will need to be bled,the main thing is insure you use the alignment tool,and that it is right,you will fight this allday if not right.
__________________
Marry the right person it will determine 95 percent of your happiness or misery. Remember that old saying,you can be right or you can be happy,I choose happy.
89 xj in progress D44,4"x 2" lift
72 Restored chevy truck 4x4,lockers,built 350,approx 400 hp.
Abovetimberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:16 PM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing the CPS DrunkHippos OEM Cherokee Tech 3 07-14-2009 01:36 PM
Replacing Trans heavychevy OEM Cherokee Tech 17 05-20-2009 01:28 AM
Replacing my current 95 XJ mmastran OEM Cherokee Tech 20 05-12-2009 10:18 AM
Replacing Cat 02 bung Natedg&2 OEM Cherokee Tech 3 03-09-2009 10:53 PM
Replacing fan clutch hubbazoot OEM Cherokee Tech 13 11-17-2008 11:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Jeep or Chrysler.

Emails Backup