Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Removing headliner and reinstalling same one..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 OHV
Default Removing headliner and reinstalling same one..

Hello,

Most threads I have found are all what to do when removing a headliner and then installing a fresh one. But, I bought my jeep a few months ago and the PO had just installed a new headliner and is still in perfect condition. I will be dropping the headliner for about 20 minutes to install four antennas on my roof. I know the process of taking it out but when putting it back in will I still need to spray adhesive on or scrub off the current adhesive? The last truck I did this to had thumb type screws for the headliner and did not use adhesive so I am unsure if I will need to Reglue it and if so can I pickup this 3M spray adhesive at Home Depot? Thanks!!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

The cloth/foam headliner is attached to a fiberglass board. It all comes out together, no issues with reusing the existing one.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:08 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 v6

What can I do if my liner is sagging but don't want to replace it. It is a replacement!
Old 11-24-2016, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Capital_G
The cloth/foam headliner is attached to a fiberglass board. It all comes out together, no issues with reusing the existing one.
Thank you! So it should come out all as one piece?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kate0III0
What can I do if my liner is sagging but don't want to replace it. It is a replacement!
Either search it or start a new thread..best advice
Old 11-24-2016, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kate0III0
Talk to the company/place they did it.Honestly a headliner should last years not a short time.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by scruffythewild
Either search it or start a new thread..best advice
Old 11-25-2016, 02:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by scruffythewild
Thank you! So it should come out all as one piece?
Yes. Have had mine in and out a couple times on my '00. If you don't have a torx set buy one. You will need it. Start at the back. Remove the upper plastic molding going across. There are screws but also metal clips behind it that go into slots in the body. Good chance you might snap one but since that piece screws in also not that big a deal. Pop the speaker covers, remove the speakers with a torx. Pop out the cargo light and disconnect. The seat belts are also attached with a big torx. Grab handles are torx too. You will pop off one of the lenses on the dome light to get at two screws. The dome light does not come straight out you will slide it and drop it out. Everything else pretty much just unscrews. The only other issue I have is with the pillars over the doors going down to the dashboard. They have these metal clips behind them that go into slot in the body like the back plastic piece. Good chance you will snap one or two off too. You really only have to pop off the one side, I always do the driver's side, because even with the passenger side still secure you can wiggle the headliner out. All in all it is pretty easy. Couple shots of the dome light and bracket to give you an idea of what I was talking about there.
Attached Thumbnails Removing headliner and reinstalling same one..-dome-light-2.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ralph77; 11-25-2016 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Yes. Have had mine in and out a couple times on my '00. If you don't have a torx set buy one. You will need it. Start at the back. Remove the upper plastic molding going across. There are screws but also metal clips behind it that go into slots in the body. Good chance you might snap one but since that piece screws in also not that big a deal. Pop the speaker covers, remove the speakers with a torx. Pop out the cargo light and disconnect. The seat belts are also attached with a big torx. Grab handles are torx too. You will pop off one of the lenses on the dome light to get at two screws. The dome light does not come straight out you will slide it and drop it out. Everything else pretty much just unscrews. The only other issue I have is with the pillars over the doors going down to the dashboard. They have these metal clips behind them that go into slot in the body like the back plastic piece. Good chance you will snap one or two off too. You really only have to pop off the one side, I always do the driver's side, because even with the passenger side still secure you can wiggle the headliner out. All in all it is pretty easy. Couple shots of the dome light and bracket to give you an idea of what I was talking about there.

I already have a set from when I last did it on my other truck, Thank you for such an informative post, this will undoubtedly help me out!
Old 11-25-2016, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Make sure your set has the big one for the seat belts. Most sets don't go that large. IIRC, they are T50. They are also installed with loctite on them, so don't expect them to come out easy. Mine came out without heat, but it took a little convincing.