Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear wiper issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear wiper issue

Hey Guys! I'm new here. This is my first post here.

Just bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport with 139k for $3600. Very nice truck! This is my first Jeep so I am very excited! I have an issue with the rear wiper. I unplugged the wire for the rear motor and turned on the switch and hooked it up to my voltometer but no current. I think it may be the switch. Problem is, I don't know how to remove the switch. Does the whole console cover need to come off? Or can I just remove the switch? And do you think it can be anything else? Oh I should also add, the rear defroster works and the fluid for the rear does NOT work. Thanks!

Oh and here are some pics of me and the new Jeep!
Attached Thumbnails Rear wiper issue-jeep.jpg   Rear wiper issue-jeep-2.jpg  
Old 04-26-2015, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on that nice looking XJ!

That whole bezel that goes around the switches, radio all of it will just pop right off take your time pulling it the first time after that you will know exactly where to pry.

Before you do that have you checked the fuse's for the non-working items? If not do that first. If you plan on working on your XJ a Factory Service Manual is a must have item. You can purchase one from pacificcoastmanuals.com for your year and make of Jeep that shows you everything even all the wiring. It is downloadable in pdf format for $7.95 and can be printed off when needed all or parts. I think its good for 24 hrs and I downloaded it on 4 devices a desktop, 2 laptops, iPad, Phone.

You have came to the best place for info on the XJ on the whole web, welcome back anytime. BTW its a good idea to fill out all the info in the user cp area so it is easier to help you at times as it shows the year of your XJ and things that pertain to that yr. only along with your area where you live.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 04-26-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 PM

Thank you for the reply! I had a feeling that the whole bezel popped off but I didn't want to break anything. I did check all the fuses as well. There are a lot of empty spots. Maybe I'll get a diagram and see if one is missing? Love this forum!
Old 04-26-2015, 08:45 PM

For the rear fluid not working it's most likely a bad pump at the bottom of your washer fluid reservoir inside the driver side fender. Should be a super easy fix, and new ones are cheap.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

As Fred said, check the fuse first. It should be fuse #22 in the fuse panel in the passenger side footwell, which should be about the 8th one down from the top on the right. Pull that fuse and make sure it's not burnt.

If you end up needing to remove the bezel, you'll need to reach under the very bottom corner of the bezel and pull straight out. Depending on how well it's attached, you may need to pull one corner and then the other, or it may just pop off by pulling one side. It's held in with metal spring clips that let loose pretty easily.

Once that's off, you'll be able to see how to remove the switch panel. It's held in by either two or four screws (I can't remember) that are right where you can see them. The switches themselves plug into snap-in connectors in the wiring harness.

And get yourself a service manual. There's a section in it on the rear wiper system that will help you troubleshoot. If you don't want to spend $50 to $75 for a hard copy manual, download one from Pacific Coast for $8:

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM

Thank you guys very much for your help. Turns out that Fuse 22 wasn't even there! I thought that was just another spot for a blank like Fuse 8. Popped in a 20A, and worked great! Thank you everyone for your help! I really appreciate it! Next project is the headliner, some rust in the door, and the driver speaker!
Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by JoeyMitch
Thank you guys very much for your help. Turns out that Fuse 22 wasn't even there! I thought that was just another spot for a blank like Fuse 8. Popped in a 20A, and worked great! Thank you everyone for your help! I really appreciate it! Next project is the headliner, some rust in the door, and the driver speaker!
Might want to check into why the fuse was pulled.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

I just pulled new wires into my driver door for the speaker. It would only work if the door was half open. I pulled the speaker out and jiggled the wires and the speaker would drop in and out. I just pulled two wires through the boot and it is all good.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:30 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Rear Wiper Partially Working

Hi Everybody,
I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee with a rear wiper issue (It may just be the fuse). My rear wiper engages and discharges wiper fluid when fully engaged but does not want to activate when put in the "On" position, for intermittent function. Any Ideas?
Best,
Jack