Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Hatch Wont Open..Key Wont Turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Hatch Wont Open..Key Wont Turn

Hey guys I have a problem with my rear hatch..I can't open it. When I looked at the vechile it opened and after I bought it no go. I can't even turn the key in the lock! Since I can't unlock/lock the door will I still be able to open it from the inside if I take the panel off? But once I get it open will I be able to turn the key again? I know the lock isnt frozen because its been like this since I bought it in the fall..but now I'm going on a trip and would really like to not have to throw my luggage over the backseat into the truck. Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 PM

i had the same issue ... i kick the crap outta the door on the inside while some one held tha handel, took off plastic panel, ripped out crappy electric door lock motor, ziptied a few thigs solid and called her a day
Old 02-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

so once I adjust the latch I should be able to turn my key again?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

I sometimes have this problem with my 96. Its the key more then likely. My key is cut so that both sides are different. flip the key around and try it. Other then that try moving the key in and out while turning it. Or try moving it up or down while turning it. I have to also hold the key spot from pushing in while I do this. Hope this helps!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

ill try that right now..I know one of my keys wont even fit in the lock at all but fits in the rest :S
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 PM

Year: 1998

I had a similar problem with my 98 recently. I managed to it open by pushing above the latch while lifting up on it. Eventually I got it open by applying just the right pressure. Once you get it open remove the plastic trim and set it aside. There are screws along the edges and top and the remainder are little pop type connectors that you can just pull loose.

Pull aside the insulation you can see the latch mechanism. If yours is like the 97+ then there is a threaded rod that is moved by the latch mechanism. This gets out of adjustment and doesn't move far enough to open when the latch is lifted. Pull this rod lose from the clip and move it the appropriate direction. Close the hatch and test. You may need to fine tune a little, but this should fix the problem of the hatch. There is at least one write up with pics somewhere on the web, but I couldn't find it tonight

Not quite sure about your key issue, but once you have access you may be able to take it apart and clean it up.

Again, this is based on my experience with my 98 YMMV! Hope it helps though.

Best,
Parker
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Seasoned Member

my only problem is that I dont know if the latch is locked or not...Im not worried if I do some damage by pulling it off from the inside..I can pick up a new plastic piece from a local jy...also trying to play with the key i also decided to check my other locks and my passenger lock refuses to turn as well
Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

this is pretty common. i had to replace the whole lock assemply in the hatch on my 89 some time ago
Old 02-14-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Take it to a locksmith. If its not unlocked then its sure not going to just open up for ya. Besides it sounds like the key is giving you trouble or the barrels are on the locks. Either way the lock guy can fix them, and make you a good key.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

x2 on taking it to a locksmith.
I used to do locksmith work on cars back in the 80's.
It seems most likely to be a bad key, because it won't work the passenger door.
The driver's door and ignition get the most use (EVERY TIME the vehicle gets used)...the passenger door & hatch, not so much.
The combination of wear on the key, plus wear of those two locks is PROBABLY the issue.
A locksmith should be able to make a key that is cut to the factory specs and should work all the locks, if that was the way it came from the factory that year. (My XJ is an '89, and has a separate ignition key).
There is usually a key code # stamped onto the body of a lock cylinder...sometimes the passenger door lock, but I'm not sure where it is on an XJ...(maybe someone else will chime in here?)...that # will help the locksmith cut a factory spec key.
Of course, it is possible the hatch and/or passenger passenger door locks may have been replaced at some point. But the good news there is that if your key goes in the lock properly, the lock can be reworked so that your key will work the lock..
Hope this helps!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Awsome..we don<t have a locksmith in our community but Im heading to the city this week to go for a interview with the Canadian Army and get my 3`Lift installed!! So Ill get a locksmith to take a look at it for me while im there.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:32 PM

I know this thread is a little old, but I am having a similar problem. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the problem is that my fiance's ex took the Jeep(awhile before we met) and since the rear hatch wasn't unlocking, he had the latch removed so that we cannot unlock it without reaching over the backseat and pressing down the lever. Is there any place I can buy this latch? If I have to post pictures of the problem and what was removed, I can do that.