Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Brakes Dragging on My XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Cylinder
Default Rear Brakes Dragging on My XJ

Ok Hive Mind,
I am need of some additional information and I am hoping you can help. I have owned my XJ for about a year and in the quest of tracking down an errant noise I have determined one of the biggest culprits is that the rear brakes are dragging and not releasing completely, and are very loud, squeaky etc and can hear a rubbing vibration when going at very low speeds. Here is the list of the current specs of my XJ and the current list of things done and or replaced.

1998 XJ 4.0 roughly around 180,000 mi, has D44 rear end from an 86 Cherokee, no ABS, and 2-3 in lift, with 31x10.5.r15 tires.

replaced - front wheel bearing hubs
front calipers, and pads
rear drums,
rear shoes,
rear brake hardware,
rear brake wheel cylinders,
rear drums

I have had the brakes bled and adjusted by trusted professionals to help eliminate user error.

I have not done anything to the master cylinder, proportioning valve or any other part of the brake system.

Anyone have any input? Thanks for your help gang!

Jason
Old 09-13-2016, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

My guess is that the star adjuster is too far out. To check, remove the wheel & try to spin the drum. The transmission needs to be in N & the wheels blocked. It should have a little resistance but you should be able to spin it. If not, adjust the shoes in.

Just because a professional performed the work doesn't mean that they did it right.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Also forgot to add, there is a lock rite locker in the rear end as well.

As for the adjustment, I will check again but they have been checked, and rechecked. Also the shop I take it to specializes in Cherokee XJ's and are some pretty solid guys.

Last edited by Pelagius; 09-14-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:30 PM

Engine: 4.0L

E-Cables replaced too? Often overlooked. They become stretched out and push the shoes against the drums
Old 09-14-2016, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"rubbing vibration"

Drums smokin hot, tires ready to blow off the rim? if not I'd look at axle/carrier bearings.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have ever had the drums turned? I had a problem with dragging brakes a few years ago, every thing in the brake system was new and I chased the problem for a few weeks and the fix was having the drums turned. The brand new drums where not round!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 AM

Turbo - Had the axle bearing and all seals replaced in the quest to find "the noise"

Droopy - Not as of yet but the drums that I have on there are brand new less then 5000 miles, the issue was there before the new drums and after, could it still be an issue?
Old 09-17-2016, 07:32 PM

Sorry wrong thread

Last edited by MisterDriftKing; 09-17-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Pelagius
Turbo - Had the axle bearing and all seals replaced in the quest to find "the noise"
Carrier bearings too?
Is the gear oil up to level?
Does it make noise with the vehicle in the air and the rear tires rotating?
If the brakes are dragging there is going to be a lot of heat generated which will eventually make it's way to the wheels.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Ok Hive Mind,
I am need of some additional information and I am hoping you can help. I have owned my XJ for about a year and in the quest of tracking down an errant noise I have determined one of the biggest culprits is that the rear brakes are dragging and not releasing completely, and are very loud, squeaky etc and can hear a rubbing vibration when going at very low speeds. Here is the list of the current specs of my XJ and the current list of things done and or replaced.

1998 XJ 4.0 roughly around 180,000 mi, has D44 rear end from an 86 Cherokee, no ABS, and 2-3 in lift, with 31x10.5.r15 tires.

replaced - front wheel bearing hubs
front calipers, and pads
rear drums,
rear shoes,
rear brake hardware,
rear brake wheel cylinders,
rear drums

I have had the brakes bled and adjusted by trusted professionals to help eliminate user error.

I have not done anything to the master cylinder, proportioning valve or any other part of the brake system.

Anyone have any input? Thanks for your help gang!

Jason
Parking brake cable rusted and binding, disconnect and see if it cures it. Thats usually always it.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 AM

The ideas about the e brake cables are interesting, I have not thought of that. I wasn't home enough this weekend to look into it, I will give it a shot this coning up weekend. I will keep you all up to speed on how it goes.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:42 PM

So, I know it has been a while, got busy with all the things. I finally got to disconnecting the e brake cables, and....the sound went away. Gone, nothing. and as far as i can tell everything is working as it should other then the fact now they squeek and whine when I am pressing them lightly in traffic and such. Going to get the rear drum turned and skuff of the shoes lighting and see how that works, then I will look at getting new cable for the ebrake. Thanks for all the input guys, I would have never thought of that as a solution.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

So, I know it has been a while, got busy with all the things. I finally got to disconnecting the e brake cables, and....the sound went away. Gone, nothing. and as far as i can tell everything is working as it should other then the fact now they squeek and whine when I am pressing them lightly in traffic and such. Going to get the rear drum turned and skuff of the shoes lighting and see how that works, then I will look at getting new cable for the ebrake. Thanks for all the input guys, I would have never thought of that as a solution.
Glad you figured it out, thanks for letting us know.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

One more thought for those who may have a similar problem. As old as the MJs and early XJs are, you may find wear groves in raised pads of the back plate where the edges of the shoes rest against the back plate. I had to fill mine in with a MIG welder, and re-grind them flat again.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Upgrade them to discs, the only thing you'll be sorry about is that you didn't do it sooner.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes Dragging on My XJ