Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

View TonyPa's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee
Default Radio Bezel

I wanted to remove my stock stereo, and put in a Sony I bought. I don't see any screws on the whole plastic surround,,,maybe a "bezel"? How does this come off? I don't want to break it. Hope I explained it right.
TonyPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
::CF Moderator::

View Gee oh Dee's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

Iirc mine just popped off with gentle tugging.

"Build" thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...herokee-58248/

"...To ride a motorcycle well is like making the choice to live in this world and the next simultaneously; It is to carelessly play with hell's devils and God's angels together because anything less would be, to the moto-enthusiast, to do nothing at all..."
Gee oh Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #3

View MudMann94's Photo Album My Photos
2002 Grand Cherokee

Gently pull right abive heater controls

2001 Cherokee Limited 3.5" RE 32" KM2s SOLD
MudMann94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

1995 Cherokee

Thanks! I was gonna pull on it, but was afraid to break it if there was screws somewhere. So I guess there is just clips.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

1995 Cherokee

Before I do this tomorrow. Is there any diagram on the top of the stock radio, so I know what wires are for what, when I wire my new stereo in?
I didn't attempt to pull the bezel yet, i am afraid of cracking it.
I have a new Sony stereo that I want in badly. Has been sitting new in a box for 6 months. Time for me to make use of it.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
CF Veteran

View XJ BoSS's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPa View Post
Before I do this tomorrow. Is there any diagram on the top of the stock radio, so I know what wires are for what, when I wire my new stereo in?
I didn't attempt to pull the bezel yet, i am afraid of cracking it.
I have a new Sony stereo that I want in badly. Has been sitting new in a box for 6 months. Time for me to make use of it.
if you got a wiring harness to plug into the stock one it shoudnt be a problam. and there are several screws around the gauges and tthat area. it will need to be tugged somewhat aggressivley to get out.

"If a zombie outbreak happens in Vegas does it stay in Vegas
"?
XJ BoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #7

View papaj's Photo Album My Photos
1992 Cherokee

undo the 2 screws holding the factory stereo in and the left side should be slighty tucked in behind the dash gently pull it out and what i did to retain use of the factory bracket is removed the 4 gold screws in the housing of the stock radio. these come out tuff so i put the screwdriver in the screw and gave her a love tap and loosened them and slid the stock metal sleeve with the mounts and stuck it on my new alpine unit. as for putting in the new unit get urself an headunit installation wire harness. theyre like $5 and make things super easy. all the wires are color coated and will easily match up with the new harness. its very easy to figure out as long as ur not color blind lol. then simply plug the harness into the car side factory harness and bam she should fire like a boss. if u need help with the whole gauge bezel removal there is 3 screws along the bottom and 2 screws going up into the dash inside the gauge area. then the whole dash bezel will come out. it will be kinda tuff so be agressive but gentle and cautious all at the same time. around the gauges will be the toughest area so it might help to move the wheel all the way down for better access. good luck!

Last edited by papaj; 10-23-2011 at 03:47 PM.
papaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #8

1995 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaj View Post
undo the 2 screws holding the factory stereo in and the left side should be slighty tucked in behind the dash gently pull it out and what i did to retain use of the factory bracket is removed the 4 gold screws in the housing of the stock radio. these come out tuff so i put the screwdriver in the screw and gave her a love tap and loosened them and slid the stock metal sleeve with the mounts and stuck it on my new alpine unit. as for putting in the new unit get urself an headunit installation wire harness. theyre like $5 and make things super easy. all the wires are color coated and will easily match up with the new harness. its very easy to figure out as long as ur not color blind lol. then simply plug the harness into the car side factory harness and bam she should fire like a boss. if u need help with the whole gauge bezel removal there is 3 screws along the bottom and 2 screws going up into the dash inside the gauge area. then the whole dash bezel will come out. it will be kinda tuff so be agressive but gentle and cautious all at the same time. around the gauges will be the toughest area so it might help to move the wheel all the way down for better access. good luck!
Oh wow. I am glad I didn't try yet. I thought I was supposed to just pull the bezel off around the radio, "with no screws". Unless I am still being dumb.
I bought a radio adapter kit. I don't think there is a wiring plug in there, although there may be. I am hoping! If not, time to go buy one, or use the test light.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
CF Veteran

View 89Laredo's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee

The bezel around the radio DOES NOT have any screws, it just pulls off.
The stock radio has a gray and a black plug, your wiring harness plugs into these, then you solder/whatever the other part of the harness to your radio (owners manual for radio should have diagrams).
Did this to my old 97.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

1992 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance665
The bezel around the radio DOES NOT have any screws, it just pulls off.
The stock radio has a gray and a black plug, your wiring harness plugs into these, then you solder/whatever the other part of the harness to your radio (owners manual for radio should have diagrams).
Did this to my old 97.
What are u talking about here? There is screws holding the dash bezel in and stereo into the dash.... Black is black white is white. Its super easy u definitely dont need any diagrams for this

Last edited by papaj; 10-23-2011 at 05:33 PM.
papaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
CF Veteran

View Jamie57's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Hey Papa check out what year his XJ is!!!

No screws on the 97-01 models. The earlier models did have screw you needed to undo to get at the radio.
Save yourself and the next guy a BIG headache and get the universal wiring harness for your Jeep. It's idiot proof. It just plugs into the factory wires and the short wire tails left are colour coded to your aftermarket (Sony) stereo. Super easy. Grey to grey Purple to purple etc.

This way you DO NOT have to cut into the factory harness. I just got lucky for the first time with my last XJ where the PO didn't think he was some wiring god and hacked up the factory harness.
And best of all it's only about $5-7. Even Wally World has them on the shelf.
Jamie57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #12

1992 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie57
Hey Papa check out what year his XJ is!!!

No screws on the 97-01 models. The earlier models did have screw you needed to undo to get at the radio.
Save yourself and the next guy a BIG headache and get the universal wiring harness for your Jeep. It's idiot proof. It just plugs into the factory wires and the short wire tails left are colour coded to your aftermarket (Sony) stereo. Super easy. Grey to grey Purple to purple etc.

This way you DO NOT have to cut into the factory harness. I just got lucky for the first time with my last XJ where the PO didn't think he was some wiring god and hacked up the factory harness.
And best of all it's only about $5-7. Even Wally World has them on the shelf.
My appolligies i didnt see what year his was. My bad. And definitely use the $5 harness it makes things 100xs easier. Thanks for pointing the year out
Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #13

View Soaper's Photo Album My Photos
99 Cherokee

what i always do is pull the shifter into the lowest gear.
and pull from both sides of the bezel at the bottom near the center console.
comes right off... never had a issue doing it this way and u really dont have to pull all that hard.
Soaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:01 PM   #14

View mithuth's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee

Sorry for crappy phone pics, it was a spur of the moment thing to go take these pics for you. Yes, I took my bezel and radio out just to get you these pics. That's how us PA Jeepers do for one another.

Pull here:
Click the image to open in full size.

Then here:

Now you have this (notice the 2x 10mm bolt head screws in each corner):

Remove those screws and pull:

When you pull, there will be wires attached (the antenna wire being the shortest):

Once unhooked, you'll have this:

Your new install kit should have a frame like this for the new radio: (sorry, took this pic upside down)

and the wiring kit + the radio should have harnesses like this:

It's pretty much a match colors game (thank you industry for unifying colors, this USED to be a mess, now it's pretty simple):

Now take your metal ring and push it into the new bezel and bend the tabs to secure the head unit:

Now bolt the bezel in with the metal sleeve attached:

From there, you just plug in the harnesses to the dash and radio, don't forget the antenna,
slide your radio into place and then snap your outer bezel back into place.

FIN.

Note: I didn't' finish the pics, as I was not installing that POS Pioneer in my Jeep. I have a nice ///Alpine coming, and will do better pics and a write up when it arrives if you want better pics and how to.

03 TJ X - toy
3.5" Rock Krawler Lift | Q78-15LT (35.5x10.8) on Cragar 365s
Teraflex BellyUp skid | JKS 1.25" BL | MORE 1" MML
Ford 8.8 LSD | Dana30 aussie locked
Engo E10000 winch | VIAIR OBA | Solid dif covers F&R
T&T crush corners with 6" flair | Warn steering box skid
PSC rocker guards | Warn RC front and rear bumpers | custom swing out tire carrier
too many other odds and ends to list.

Last edited by mithuth; 10-23-2011 at 06:06 PM.
mithuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #15

1995 Cherokee

ohhhhh okay!! I did buy a kit. Looked like there are two plastic brackets in it. I am hoping there is a wiring kit. I have installed many radios. But was hoping to do it without hacking the stock plugs out. Great Photos
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM

submit to reddit