Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

View Matthewjhawkins's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default RAdiator removal question

Went to go remove the radiator and I have all the hoses except one smaller one, which I'm assuming is the transmission line. How does it disconnect? It is n the very bottom and has a metal line out of the new radiator? It looks rusty on the old one. Is there a tool?
Matthewjhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

View DaddyCat's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewjhawkins View Post
Went to go remove the radiator and I have all the hoses except one smaller one, which I'm assuming is the transmission line. How does it disconnect? It is n the very bottom and has a metal line out of the new radiator? It looks rusty on the old one. Is there a tool?
There are tools to disconnect that line that you can get from the auto parts stores "transmission line disconnect tool"
look like these:http://www.google.com/images?q=trans...w=1003&bih=607

I was not aware of these tools when I removed mine. After fighting the disconnect for hours I laid the radiator on top of the engine and used a small flat screw driver to release the prongs inside the "not so quick disconnect". Then rebent the prongs back to hold the new radiator tube.

Thank you men and women of the U.S. military.
http://www.military.com/benefits/res...ort-our-troops

Last edited by DaddyCat; 02-19-2011 at 06:32 PM.
DaddyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

View AMXJ's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

Quote:
I have had good luck releasing the clip by pushing the line straight in and then grip the plastic clip with your fingers, squeeze it together, and the line will usually come out. Be sure to replace the o/rings on that line when you reinstall it or you may end up doing it again. If that doesn't work for you, than the special tool thay have for that is a cheap investment.
AMXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #4

View Jacks073's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Remove metal clip in transmission coupling to radiator

I just came in from the garage where I replaced the radiator on my 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic. All was going well until I got to the bottom transmission line which was held in place by a metal clip with 4 prongs in the coupling to the radiator...the trouble was I didn't have a tool to remove the clip! A piece of thin wire did the trick: I just used a small flat-head screwdriver to pry each prong away from the side, then slid the wire behind until I had 3 prongs held in this way. I then pried in the fourth prong and...the coupling came loose!
The clip wasn't damaged, and went back together on the new radiator with no problem. Hope this helps!
Jacks073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

View 99WhiteLightning's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to 99WhiteLightning Send a message via Yahoo to 99WhiteLightning

Quote:
Went to go remove the radiator and I have all the hoses except one smaller one, which I'm assuming is the transmission line.How does it disconnect? It is n the very bottom and has a metal line out of the new radiator? It looks rusty on the old one. Is there a tool?
drive to closest tree attach chain to rad and around tree and back up violently lol j/k...
Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #6

View billfrank85's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

Needle nose pliers work fine for most applications. Squeeze the tabs together and wiggle slightly while pulling out.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech