Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator is HOT!!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default Radiator is HOT!!

Question, how do you know when the fan clutch is out?

After driving home from work (about 25 minutes 65-70 MPH) I could smell antifreeze burning kinda of. I quickly touched the Rad and it was hot as !#@$. I have dummy lights for now and no way to tell what the temp is. I can turn the fan very easily anytime cold or hot, but it does spin when the engine is running.

It is a 2.5 4cyl manual trans

Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

The radiator is always hot when the truck is running, and why can't you tell what the temp is, is your gauge broken or something. If the fan never turns on then you may need a new thermostat...
Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Originally Posted by funkle95xj
The radiator is always hot when the truck is running, and why can't you tell what the temp is, is your gauge broken or something. If the fan never turns on then you may need a new thermostat...
not entirely true. if the fan wont come on you might need a new terminal switch which is about $11 at checker auto parts. if it still gets too hot try thermostat and make sure you get the oem recomended temp on the thermostat.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by funkle95xj
I have dummy lights for right now, just a sensor not a gauge. I know the Radiator is hot when it is running, but it is really hot. I don't have a electric fan the engine is a 4 cylinder with just a engine fan.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

start with your fan clutch, also i would recommend a flush kit from autozone or walmat they are like 4 bucks and splice into your hoses and then you just hook up a garden hose to it and itll blow out any crap that was in there. if that dont work go with a new tstat id go 180. also a new radiator cap, and if that dont fix it replace the rad
Old 03-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by claygrassmann
start with your fan clutch, also i would recommend a flush kit from autozone or walmat they are like 4 bucks and splice into your hoses and then you just hook up a garden hose to it and itll blow out any crap that was in there. if that dont work go with a new tstat id go 180. also a new radiator cap, and if that dont fix it replace the rad

Thanks for the info, I will try one tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Fan clutch test: make sure the engine is off, spin the fan by hand. If the fan spins freely then the fan clutch is worn out and needs replacing. If you feel some resistance like a bearing that is packed with grease and it does not spin very much or fast then it is probably OK. I was told the fan clutch is filled with a silicone substance and when the substance wears out the fan will spin when the engine runs however it will not move at the required speed necessary to cool the radiator.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 94sport
Fan clutch test: make sure the engine is off, spin the fan by hand. If the fan spins freely then the fan clutch is worn out and needs replacing. If you feel some resistance like a bearing that is packed with grease and it does not spin very much or fast then it is probably OK. I was told the fan clutch is filled with a silicone substance and when the substance wears out the fan will spin when the engine runs however it will not move at the required speed necessary to cool the radiator.
Thanks that is the answer I was looking for. I can freely spin the fan no matter what the temp is.