Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #1

View Dragon01's Photo Album My Photos
Default Radiator Changing problem... transmission lines..

i just got a new radiator from Murrys, it looks nice. while trying to remove the old radiator everything came out perfectly except for the lower radiator line. i loosened the nut but it wont come out. it looks to have some odd quick disconnect fitting i think on it. this would not bother me except for the fact that the new radiator has completely different connections. neither the quick disconnect (that i cant figure out how to remove) or the top line will mate up with the new radiator fittings :-(
I'm lost. i got the radiator very cheap and would really like to get it working.

do i even need to hook the trans lines to the radiator? i have an aftermarket trans cooler on the truck that works incredible.
is there an easy solution to this problem????
i need to get my truck running by tomorrow night. any help is greatly appreciated.

i have pics if needed. the upload file feature does not seem to work... i can e-mail them.

BTW the jeep is a 2000 4.0 sport if this helps narrow down a solution.
Dragon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #2

View Cherokeefever's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon01 View Post
i just got a new radiator from Murrys, it looks nice. while trying to remove the old radiator everything came out perfectly except for the lower radiator line. i loosened the nut but it wont come out. it looks to have some odd quick disconnect fitting i think on it. this would not bother me except for the fact that the new radiator has completely different connections. neither the quick disconnect (that i cant figure out how to remove) or the top line will mate up with the new radiator fittings :-(
I'm lost. i got the radiator very cheap and would really like to get it working.

do i even need to hook the trans lines to the radiator? i have an aftermarket trans cooler on the truck that works incredible.
i need to get my truck running by tomorrow night. any help is greatly appreciated.

i have pics if needed. the upload file feature does not seem to work... i can e-mail them.

Bottom line has an plastic clip "theres two types" that holds the hose on. If your lucky theres two plastic ears sticking out and u squeeze the ears and pull the line off " might have to push it forward to unlock" and u`ll have to put that plastic clip on the new radiator
Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
CF Veteran

View storm101's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon01 View Post

Well as for the radiator, if nothing matches up, it may be the wrong one.
Being a 00 you probably have the metal ring clip type, it takes a special tool to get it off, or a few small screwdrivers and some time...lol Heres a thread that should help you determine what yours has, and how to get them apart (has pictures)

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/1999...nection-32259/

As for the line going to the radiator, i would get it back on there, if it wasnt needed, it wouldnt be there!

Im a strong believer in doing things the way they should be, keeps problems down and keeps something that was jerry-rigged from breaking down on you....which usually happens at the worst time.

If you feel the radiator is the wrong one....i would spend more and get the correct one JMO on that though......the cooling system isnt anything to really play around with on these, the 4.0 does not like overheating!

Good luck!

"Storm" the 99' xj- 63mm bored tb, thor4x4 cowl induction, 2.5" exhaust with flowmaster super 44 muffler, 3" mixed lift, HIDS, fitchbox switch panel, JCR stage 2 sliders, 31" treadwright guard dogs, cragar soft 8 rims, TJ flares, ironman4x4 motor mounts and lca's, iro double shear tbar, l&l fab bumpers, serious one ton steering, engo E9000, tranny cooler, rear disc brake conversion
storm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Seasoned Member

View bryanboonern's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

When I replaced my radiator, I got the tool I needed for the so called quick disconnect and it took me about 2 hours of twisting and pulling to get it off. Then when I went to put it back on there was no way it was going to fit on the new connector. I just cut the frikkin thing off and used a couple good ol hose clamps.
bryanboonern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

View Dragon01's Photo Album My Photos

thx everyone, i figured everything out.

the "quick release" was obviously not quick at all, and like Bryan it did not fit on the new adaptor. so i did same as he.. cut the quick disconnect off and clamped the hose on.
the reason of the non matching connectors was the new radiator did not come with the adaptors as was needed. went back to the parts store and they gave me the required bag of parts.
Dragon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

View tn_outside's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

In regards to the Quick Disconnect:

Cut the quick disconnect off. Get a brass male-to-male 3/8 adapter and 2 inches of 3/8 hose. Re-assemble with rubber hose and 3 hose clamps. The quick-disconnect is stupid, difficult to use and unnecessary.

In other words: you can slip the rubber hose right over the copper tube coming from the radiator and secure with a hose clamp. However, once you cut the quick-disconnect out of the system, the hose will be about 2.5 inches short. Just add 2 inches of hose and the brass adapter (the half inch of length) and you are good to go.

The rather blurry photo below shows the finished result. Works like a charm. Nothing to worry about. The coolant system is under MUCH more pressure than the transmission. And the coolant is held together with hose clamps. So use them and don't worry. It'll be fine.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by tn_outside; 08-13-2011 at 12:32 PM.
tn_outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #7

View tn_outside's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

I should point out that you should only cut it off if the quick disconnect gives you grief. Which it typically does. If it comes right apart....it will probably leak when reassembled. Then you will have to cut it off. Unless you get lucky...and it comes apart easily....AND it doesn't leak.

Which leads us back to "Cut it off."
tn_outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #8

View cmineo2's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

this is exactly how i spent my day today, after messing with the 'quick connect' for 4 hours, i reinstalled the new fitting back into the 'quick connect', put the trans into drive with parking brake on, and the fitting leaked.

so tomorrow, i am cuttin it off and doing like the picture shows....

thanks guys ... at least im not the only one with this issue.

cmineo
cmineo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
CF Veteran

View BimmerJeeper's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Anyone have a photo of this quick disconnect hack? The one above is gone. I am going to try my radiator and have a feeling this will be a 10 hour nightmare. Want to be as prepared as possible.
BimmerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

View weebur's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee

Good luck. Don't bypass the radiator, not only does it cool the trans fluid it warms it on cold days.
'97 Cherokee Country, 4.0L, Auto Trans (AW-4), 4WD Command-Trac NP231, 3.55:1 Gears, Power-Trax No-Slip Locker in rear, Spartan Locker in Front, Monroe Air Shocks, Hi Country front tow hook brackets, Black with Gray Leather, 235X75R15 Goodyear Wrangler Tires, Putco Headlight Harness w/Silverstar bulbs, 142,000 miles. Northern Illinois.
weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #11

View krnkimchi702's Photo Album My Photos
95 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper View Post
Anyone have a photo of this quick disconnect hack? The one above is gone. I am going to try my radiator and have a feeling this will be a 10 hour nightmare. Want to be as prepared as possible.
this. im thinking about doing this, but im more of a visual person...
krnkimchi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #12

View Grandi.Manson's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee
Default trans cooler line quick-clip crap...

'91 laredo. got me a scavanged durango pitma arm, but thats the extent of "mods" she has thusfar. k, here we go...

so after a few days of searching the web and several hours of serching threads here, i have learned that the trans cooler quick connections a) create a lot of frustration; b) dont work "quickly"; c) nore do they work very often; d) AND everyone seems to have a nifty fix using 3/8" oil hose and clamps to fix thier leak (near the RADIATOR)...

of course my leak is the crap-disconnect at the transmission. ordered meself a dorman quick-disconnect, slid everything together and got to shoving and cussing at the connection. i'm not sure if the line is misbent, or illaligned, but nothing fit and the o-rings came out pinched in two.

i like the idea of chopping off the end of the trans tube. seems that the fix is easy to maintain and doesnt require "re-fixing". my question arises after i chop the tube, slide clamps and hose onto the tube, how does the altertion afix to the connector on the transmission? the factory set up has the tube fit INSIDE of the connector... and i dont see the 3/8" hose sleaving the large, long, hex shaped fitting on the trannie.

after much reading i also saw someone mentioning having used a hose barb... i have difficulty grasping how a hose barb would be used on a s.s. tube.
dude, i'm lost.

its dark, and the only camera i have is on me phone. so i'll try pics tomorrow, but i think this is pretty straight forward.
Grandi.Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech