Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Questions about AC Evacuate for Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l I6
Default Questions about AC Evacuate for Heater Core

So I ripped out half of my dash to replace my heater core and then realized I needed to evacuate the A/C system before I finish taking the dash out. I have a couple questions and some will be very dumb because I have never worked with A/C.

1st if I evacuate the A/C high/low end with an evacuation system this will only depressurize the line right? Will I need to do anything else to make sure I don't leak any oil when I disconnect it from the inside so I can remove the heater core box? I have replaced a heater core before in my old 87 jeep but it didn't have A/C.

2nd once I evacuate it there is nothing I need to do with the evacuator to empty it out right? I am planning to buy the gauge set and pump from harbor freight just so in the future I will be able to work on all of my vehicles (have 4).

3rd I do have to evacuate the system right as in no way to replace the core without detaching the A/C lines? Is there any work around to replace a heater core? My heater core does leak on the inside of the Jeep so I don't even think the aluminum stop leak would even work? What you guys think worth a shot?

4th my A/C has never blown cold and in fact I cannot even get the compressor to kick on so I will have to work on it anyways I believe. Also on the inside I cannot get the heating/air system to blow anywhere but the defrost vents. Any ideas why? I have checked the back of the cluster panel for the temp gauges and no wires look burnt up or bad.

Has anyone tried the cheap vacuum from harbor freight with your air compressor? Its 20 bucks compared to 100 and I have a 12 gal compressor, I would just run it about 5 times to take all of the pressure out.

I know lots of questions so I am looking for some guidance! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mycherokee; 11-22-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

1. No it will evacuate whole system.

2. A Ac shop uses a recovery machine it store Freon. Harbour Freing pump just draws into a vacuum.

3. No other way around doing this. If it was me I would also replace evaporator since you unsure why Ac dont work now. No sealer ever.

4. Check for broken vacuum lines to vacuum ball behing pass front bumper it most common failure to cause this.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

So if I get the pump from harbor freight it will vacuum out the entire system and store the Freon in the device? I guess my main question is what all do I need to do to replace the heater core and fix my A/C for the summer. I want to do this once and fix it all.

Will this : http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-...ump-98076.html
remove the oil and everything from the system? Does it store inside the device? Is this plus a gauge set all I need to depressurize the system to work on it?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mycherokee
So if I get the pump from harbor freight it will vacuum out the entire system and store the Freon in the device? I guess my main question is what all do I need to do to replace the heater core and fix my A/C for the summer. I want to do this once and fix it all.

Will this : http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-...ump-98076.html
remove the oil and everything from the system? Does it store inside the device? Is this plus a gauge set all I need to depressurize the system to work on it?
No it just draws system into a vacuum for filling and to see if you have any thing leaking. A Ac recovery system stores freon. Go to a Repair shop for evac and storeing purpose.

Last edited by freegdr; 11-22-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Dangit so to replace the heater core I will have to take it to a shop. Does everyone do that? I am sure it is not cheap to get a system that will store the Freon.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:52 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mycherokee
Dangit so to replace the heater core I will have to take it to a shop. Does everyone do that? I am sure it is not cheap to get a system that will store the Freon.
No just get system evacuated they will know how much you had and replace it when you return .
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah let a shop suck the freon out its safer and legal.The vacuum pump puts a vacuum on a empty system to boil out any moisture in the system and shows if you have a leak.With your compressor not kicking on could be the freon leaked out or the compressor is bad.And while you have the dash out check the blend door to see if its working or not.