Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about possible vacuum leak and horn connectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Question about possible vacuum leak and horn connectors

So I have two questions, try to bear with me here.

First of all, I noticed recently my cruise control works intermittently. The light turns on/off when I press the button, so I doubt it has anything to do with bad wires/connections/switch.

Then I noticed that when the engine is not running, air only comes out of defrost. I know both of these are signs of a vacuum leak, but since both problems seem to be working some days and not others, I have a hard time finding the issue. I checked all lines (to my knowledge) and everything seems fine.

So my first question is, should I look out for anything else that might cause these issues, or is it definately vacuum related? If it is indeed the vacuum, anywhere in particular I should look? When the car is running, all vents are functionning properly.

Then my second problem is, recently I accidentally cut a horn bracket and was left with only one horn. After getting dirt and whatnot all over it, the wires have disconnected from the last standing horn and broke the connector on the wire. I took the other one out and one bracket is still there, but when connecting it to the old connector, it doesn't seem to work. Is it supposed to be grounded?

I have no idea if I can do something with those :

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cane
So I have two questions, try to bear with me here.

First of all, I noticed recently my cruise control works intermittently. The light turns on/off when I press the button, so I doubt it has anything to do with bad wires/connections/switch.

Then I noticed that when the engine is not running, air only comes out of defrost. I know both of these are signs of a vacuum leak, but since both problems seem to be working some days and not others, I have a hard time finding the issue. I checked all lines (to my knowledge) and everything seems fine.

So my first question is, should I look out for anything else that might cause these issues, or is it definately vacuum related? If it is indeed the vacuum, anywhere in particular I should look? When the car is running, all vents are functionning properly.

You have described a normal situation (above). When the engine is not running there is no vacuum to operate the mode doors and they will default to defrost door open.

Then my second problem is, recently I accidentally cut a horn bracket and was left with only one horn. After getting dirt and whatnot all over it, the wires have disconnected from the last standing horn and broke the connector on the wire. I took the other one out and one bracket is still there, but when connecting it to the old connector, it doesn't seem to work. Is it supposed to be grounded?

The horn(s) are grounded through the horn body to the chassis. See that large nut. It connects the body of the horn to that bracket, which is supposed to be attached to the chassis.

I have no idea if I can do something with those :

Go to the junk yard and get some replacement horns. If need be, connect a wire, with a ring terminal, under that nut then attach the wire to the chassis.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CCKen
Thanks for the quick reply.

I recently replaced the blower motor resistor (was only running on high), and prior to that the vent/heat/AC all came out of their respective vent holes, even with the engine shut. Now after replacing, it only works when the car is started. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Cane; 07-27-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cane
Thanks for the quick reply.

I recently replaced the blower motor resistor (was only running on high), and prior to that the vent/heat/AC all came out of their respective vent holes, even with the engine shut. Now after replacing, it only works when the car is started. Does that make sense?

If the Vacuum check valve in the engine bay, and the vacuum system is tight, there may be enough residual vacuum in the system to operate the mode doors on a limited basis., then when depleted, will default to defrost.

Give it a try. Start the engine to charge the vacuum system. Shut down the engine (leave ignition switch to RUN), turn blower on. Operate the mode selector. You should feel the air from the appropriate vents, then it should come out of the defrost vent when the vacuum is depleted.