Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Problem: Engine cuts off while running

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons
Default Problem: Engine cuts off while running

So today coming home down the interstate the jeep cut off. I was running about 70 and really wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. All the gauges were fine. It wouldn't start back after 2 or 3 tries. It had enough juice to turn over so it wasn't the alternator. I unhooked the battery to check the fuses in the engine bay, they were fine. Looked at the belts, they looked ok. Hooked the battery back up tried to crank it again and it fired up.

Current other problems to the jeep list: Over heats while it's idling - took the t-stat out as a temporary solution so it runs pretty cold going down the freeway. Not sure whats causing it to overheat yet. The t-stat not being in helps a little but it's not the cause of the overheating issue.

NP231 Transfer Case - rear seal is bad so it leaks where the drive shaft goes in, so the t-case is bound to be low on fluid.

It's been having weird shift troubles going up hills. The engine will start to die off going up a steeper than normal hill in 4th gear. Then literally jerk and come back to life. Transmission fluid was down a quart.

I don't see how any of these could be the problem but I'm just throwing them out there. I got a mile long list of things to do and no cash. Solutions to any of the problems are appreciated but I really want to keep this thing running.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee

It sounds like a fuel pump to me, check that out. HTH!!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

That's what I considering. But it's not really sputtering while it's just running, whats a good way to check if it's going bad?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really a way to check it. I've had them work great until you're as far away from civilization as you can be and then start acting up. I'd say if it's been awhile since it's been changed or if you have reason to susept it being faulty, change it. They do go out from time to time. HTH!!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

I got some feed back from somewhere else that it could be the crank shaft position sensor? Anybody know what this is and what it does?
Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

was thier alot of corosion on the battery ?
i had a neon that would cut off if i hit a bump. just a sugestion
Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Either the fuel pump or the fuel filter. You didn't by chance check to see if you had fuel pressure when it died did you?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

No to the battery cables, I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with them or the alternator. No I didn't check the fuel pressure... I don't even think I have a fuel pressure gauge...
Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

So, I'm leaning toward the fuel pump. With the in tank fuel pump there is a protective coating around them to keep them from overheating. When it gets say 15 years old sitting in a gas tank the coating is gone. So when the pump gets hot from driving 80 miles down the road it shuts off. Sits on the side of the road for about 30 minutes and cools back off. Then fires back up to drive home. Hopefully this is the problem and it will be fixed when I replace it. I plan on making it happen today and then checking the fuel pressure to see if it has any. Hopefully it wont, if it does that means back to the drawing board.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Renix Super Guru

Do you still want to know about the crank position sensor? My experience with those are they either work or they don't I personally have never had an intermittent problem with them.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

with a 1/4 of a gas of tank - go around a tight turn pretty quickly.. i would guess it will also sputter and lose power for a bit.. fuel pump
Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Do you still want to know about the crank position sensor? My experience with those are they either work or they don't I personally have never had an intermittent problem with them.
Ya, some people are stilling saying it could be the problem, but others say it would cause the tach and stuff to act up, but mine doesn't. So if the fuel pressure is fine then I'll replace it, if not I'll do the Pump and filter.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Renix Super Guru

Crank position sensor (CPS) is located on the bellhousing of the transmission. It is reached by crawling under the vehicle and looking up towards the top of the housing on the drivers side of the Jeep. It is held in place by two bolts which are accessed by long extensions. It is often helpful to drop the tranny crossmember which will allow you to use a floor jack to lower the tranny and thus give better access to the CPS. Do not drop either of the bolts into your bellhousing as this may require removal of the transmission to retrieve them. The CPS has a plug that has two wires running from the CPS to that plug. No adjustment is required it is simply a remove/replace part.
HTH.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Ya, I plan on replacing it if the fuel pump replace meant doesn't - i guess I'll go ahead and change the fuel filter to. It's bound to be 15 years old so it will probably go some time. Might as well do it know
Old 09-19-2008, 10:49 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
Ya, I plan on replacing it if the fuel pump replace meant doesn't - i guess I'll go ahead and change the fuel filter to. It's bound to be 15 years old so it will probably go some time. Might as well do it know
If you change the fuel pump change the fuel filter at the same time. Other wise you could create more issues...fuel filters should IMHO be changed once a year.

Quick Reply: Problem: Engine cuts off while running