Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Problem after driver side axle u joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Problem after driver side axle u joint replacement

Hi, I have an 88 xj 5 speed. I just replaced my driver side axle u-joint. I was still hearing a noise after the job. I rechecked everything and it looks good, it was then I noticed that when I turned the driver wheel, the front driveshaft would spin. I checked my 89 and that driveshaft turns freely.
With the cad vacuum system, when in 2wd that diver wheel should spin free right?
I'm worried because I had a stuck hub and tried to use a 3 jaw puller. It didn't work I ended up beating the 3 bolts from the back to pop it out.
Could I have damaged something in the diff by putting pressure on that axle shaft?
What in the diff would cause that driver wheel to engage the front driveshaft?
Thanks for your time!
Jeff
Old 01-08-2017, 10:22 AM

Just an update, I can hold the front driveshaft with one hand and spin the driver wheel with the other though there is some resistance. Same with the passenger side, when I had it running last night the pass wheel spun real easy without turning the driveshaft. Do I have a vacuum problem? How much vacuum or suction should i feel when I unplug the harness from the vacuum motor?
Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 PM

Well, yet another update, looks like everything is ok. The vacuum operated collar was in the wrong position. When I shifted it over to the pass wheel, the driveshaft freed up with the wheels on the ground.
Also I was low on rear end fluid that was making some noise.
Might have a vacuum issue, I took the vac motor off and there was a lot of gear lube in there. At least it looks like the diff is normal.
Thanks again!