Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power windows stopped working

Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Power windows stopped working

My power windows just randomly stopped working the other day. Power door locks work fine, I took off the kick panel and everything is connected correctly, no loose wires or bad connections down there. Checked the circuit breaker in the fuse panel, it was fine, replaced it anyway, still didn't fix it. I checked all the fuses in both fuse panels, under dash and under the hood. Everything is fine. I'm not so good at diagnosing electrical problems, can anyone explain what to do next?
Thanks
Dan
Old 07-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche

if it's a 97+ this fixed my power window issues if it's older i don't really know

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...ummies-459934/
Old 08-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Default windows

Take the door panel off and try to inspect the window regulator. You might need to take it completely out ofthe door to see if it's broken or it might be very obvious once you take the panel off. While you are doing that unplug it from its harness for about 10 minutes and then plug it back in. Sounds silly but I've seen it work many times on many different vehicles.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

[QUOTE="Dan4governor"]My power windows just randomly stopped working the other day. Power door locks work fine, I took off the kick panel and everything is connected correctly, no loose wires or bad connections down there. Checked the circuit breaker in the fuse panel, it was fine, replaced it anyway, still didn't fix it. I checked all the fuses in both fuse panels, under dash and under the hood. Everything is fine. I'm not so good at diagnosing electrical problems, can anyone explain what to do next?
Thanks
Dan[/
open up the drivers door and peel back the rubber tube that goes between the door and the frame and look for broken wires. You may have to peel the tube out from both ends. Quite often there is a wire broken in there and most of the time it's the black one which is the ground wire for the switches but there could be more than one broken wire. If you find a broken wire don't just join the ends as opening and closing the door will loosen the joint and you'll just end up where you started. The best way to fix it is to solder the wires together and then shrink tube it.
Good luck.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: straight 6
Default Thanks; Power windows fixed

Big thanks to this thread. I am original owner of a 91 Jeep Cherokee Limited with 245K miles. My windows all stopped working.

Problem was, as suggested, a broken wire in rubber tube between door and frame

Now does anyone have similar experience with Power seats. I only have one electric seat left on passenger side (Driver seat was replaced with non electric bucket years ago).

The passenger electric seat stopped working about a year ago
Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

wait!! dont inconvenience yo self! first place id check is the wiring harness down by your feet! you can put a paperclip in there to jump the wires and it works! totally legit.. hang on ill find a pic!

this all stems (generally) from the master window switch. they, like just about every other orriginal part on a jeep, will eventually fail... new they can be like 140 bucks, so hit a JY and see if you can get one cheap... but im still looking for that pic!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0
Default this!

Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Okay so I pulled back the rubber wiring boot and found 4 broken wires. Thinking this would fix the issue I spliced them all back together, but still no power windows. The wires I fixed were:
Blue w/ white stripe
White w/ black stripe
Brown w/ white stripe
Orange w/ purple stripe
All other wires were fine from what I could tell. Any ideas what the wires I fixed are for? All other power things - door locks, speakers- in the door work fine (and did before with the broken wires as well) so I'm not really sure what I fixed.

Also I don't have a wire harness like the one in the picture above. Maybe because mine is a 96 xj? Anyway I don't have a wiring harnesses with the brown/yellow/black wire combo so I can't try that fix unless someone knows what wires to jump in a 96.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 PM

Year: 2001

Do your windows work from there respective switches? Or just not work from drivers switches?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Seasoned Member

None of the windows work from any switch, passenger doors or driver. No click, no sound of motor. Nothing.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Resurrecting an old thread here...but three years later I still haven't gotten any of my windows working. Here's what I've done:
Tested the circuit breaker, works fine, replaced it anyway, still no power to windows.
Jumped the power window regulator straight to battery, it works just fine, window went up and down.
Replaced the entire driver door wiring harness, still dead windows.
Power door locks still work fine, so the door is getting power but my windows are not. While at the junk yard last time I picked up a couple manual window regulators and I'm gonna downgrade at least my front two doors to manual windows this weekend if I can't figure this think out.
This is my last ditch effort before I convert to manual to see if anyone one here knows of something I haven't tried yet. Please help. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Dan4governor
Resurrecting an old thread here...but three years later I still haven't gotten any of my windows working. Here's what I've done:
Tested the circuit breaker, works fine, replaced it anyway, still no power to windows.
Jumped the power window regulator straight to battery, it works just fine, window went up and down.
Replaced the entire driver door wiring harness, still dead windows.
Power door locks still work fine, so the door is getting power but my windows are not. While at the junk yard last time I picked up a couple manual window regulators and I'm gonna downgrade at least my front two doors to manual windows this weekend if I can't figure this think out.
This is my last ditch effort before I convert to manual to see if anyone one here knows of something I haven't tried yet. Please help. Thanks.
Did you try to replace the drivers switch panel. They are known problems.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Did you try to replace the drivers switch panel. They are known problems.
By "switch panel" do you mean the 6 switches that make up the master controls? The wiring harness I replaced had the rear of the panel but no switches, none of the jeeps at my junk yard had master control switches (been picked already). I did replace the driver door window switch with the switch from the door locks, since that is a known "good" switch (since the locks still work) and that didn't help. Is there a difference between the window switches and the lock switch? Is there a reason why they wouldn't be interchangeable? I thought testing the window with the good lock switch would rule out an issue with the switches.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Dan4governor
By "switch panel" do you mean the 6 switches that make up the master controls? The wiring harness I replaced had the rear of the panel but no switches, none of the jeeps at my junk yard had master control switches (been picked already). I did replace the driver door window switch with the switch from the door locks, since that is a known "good" switch (since the locks still work) and that didn't help. Is there a difference between the window switches and the lock switch? Is there a reason why they wouldn't be interchangeable? I thought testing the window with the good lock switch would rule out an issue with the switches.
It's typically the lockout switch that fails on these.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by toasterknight
It's typically the lockout switch that fails on these.
Sorry by "lock switch" I meant for the power door locks, not the window lockout. From what I've read, it seems the symptom of a bad lockout switch is that the windows only work from the master door controls. Mine don't work from master or individual door switches. I'm gonna go plug the power window switch into the power door lock to see if it still works, that should tell me for sure if the window switch is bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power windows stopped working