Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Door Locks Not Working

Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0
Default Power Door Locks Not Working

89 Cherokee Pioneer, the power door locks dont work from the door switches. Power windows work from every door (its a 4 door). What should I check? the 30a circuit breaker is there, but I dont know how to check it...
Old 11-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Not sure about your model, but on the later model GC there is a relay center under the glove box. That relay center had a door lock relay and a door unlock relay.

Check to see if this may be the same. Maybe someone will know and confirm or reject this.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM

Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

have you check you connector for that? cause i had the same problem but it was the other way around...power door locks worked but the pwer windows didnt and my connector was broken and i had to fix the wires
Old 11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Ill have to keep that in mind..
Old 11-11-2009, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by klees
have you check you connector for that? cause i had the same problem but it was the other way around...power door locks worked but the pwer windows didnt and my connector was broken and i had to fix the wires

I took the switch panel from the drivers side out, and everything looks good, the connections are solid...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 PM

Year: 1993

You should not have the relay setup unless you have the keyless entry system but that does not allways hold true. If neither lock or unlock works it's not likely a relay thing. It's most likely the breaker or the red wire between the breaker and lock switch on the driver's side. If the breaker is good look closely at the area around where the Kick Panel screws hold the panel on to make sure no one screwed through the wire. the red wire from the breaker should have 12volts on it at all times. Make sure that one side of the breaker's socket is getting the 12V to start with. On your year the curent to lock or unlock has to pass through the passanger side switch. If you have 12v present at that switch it may be that switch. you can put the switch out of the driver's side to see if the locks work from the passanger side.

Bottom line. see if you have 12v present at the output of the breaker and at each switch then start looking for broken wires...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 L Inline Six

Originally Posted by Defiance665
I took the switch panel from the drivers side out, and everything looks good, the connections are solid...
Try manually locking and unlocking (grabbing the rod, pushing it back and forth) if its all gummed up the solenoid may be working too hard to unlock it and blowing a fuse. Do your dome lights and mirrors work?

If so, just take some white lithium, WD-40, brake cleaner and clean it out.

Last edited by XJkid_15; 11-11-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cheap$200Jeep
You should not have the relay setup unless you have the keyless entry system but that does not allways hold true. If neither lock or unlock works it's not likely a relay thing. It's most likely the breaker or the red wire between the breaker and lock switch on the driver's side. If the breaker is good look closely at the area around where the Kick Panel screws hold the panel on to make sure no one screwed through the wire. the red wire from the breaker should have 12volts on it at all times. Make sure that one side of the breaker's socket is getting the 12V to start with. On your year the curent to lock or unlock has to pass through the passanger side switch. If you have 12v present at that switch it may be that switch. you can put the switch out of the driver's side to see if the locks work from the passanger side.

Bottom line. see if you have 12v present at the output of the breaker and at each switch then start looking for broken wires...
Thanks, I will have to solder myself a redneck "test light" tonight so I can check for power. I dont own a multimeter, but this will at least give me an idea if theres voltage. I will check that red wire first, I think I know the one youre talking about, I was looking at it a couple days ago. If this wire does not have power I will buy a new breaker and see what happens, and will go from there...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJkid_15
Try manually locking and unlocking (grabbing the rod, pushing it back and forth) if its all gummed up the solenoid may be working too hard to unlock it and blowing a fuse. Do your dome lights and mirrors work?
Dome lights work, power windows work, mirrors are manual.. Its not a matter of the solenoid being overworked, there is no noise from the locks (the typical CLUNK you get when you lock the doors) and im sure that somehow there is no power going to the switch or the solenoids...
Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Not meaning to hijack your thread but my '88 may have the same issue - when I use the lock/unlock switch on the drivers door switch panel I can see the actual interior lock trying to move but it only has a slight movement & not enough to actually move it from the lock to unlock (& vice versa) positions.

Would this be electrical (perhaps a faulty actuator) or mechanical (bent/broken rod)?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by UK PONY
Not meaning to hijack your thread but my '88 may have the same issue - when I use the lock/unlock switch on the drivers door switch panel I can see the actual interior lock trying to move but it only has a slight movement & not enough to actually move it from the lock to unlock (& vice versa) positions.

Would this be electrical (perhaps a faulty actuator) or mechanical (bent/broken rod)?
Is it hard to lock/unlock it by hand, and are all teh doors affected? if its one door then it may be a bent rod or it may be just gunked up... If it was a bad solenoid then only one door would be affected also. If it is all doors it is most likely electrical..
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by UK PONY

Does it work OK or better when the Jeep's motor is running? Is it a problem with just one door? Do they work from the Passanger side switch?

Last edited by Cheap$200Jeep; 11-11-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:26 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Is it hard to lock/unlock it by hand, and are all teh doors affected? if its one door then it may be a bent rod or it may be just gunked up... If it was a bad solenoid then only one door would be affected also. If it is all doors it is most likely electrical..
None of the doors lock/unlock with the switch - the drivers door lock does need a firm push. If it's electrical then it may be worth mentioning that the electric mirrors do not work either. Where should I start?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks, I will have to solder myself a redneck "test light" tonight so I can check for power. I dont own a multimeter, but this will at least give me an idea if theres voltage. I will check that red wire first, I think I know the one youre talking about, I was looking at it a couple days ago. If this wire does not have power I will buy a new breaker and see what happens, and will go from there...
While you are in the area, try to trace out the black wire from the driverside door and make sure it has a good clean connection to ground. Not sure where it actually travels to be attached to a grounding point though...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

I know where it goes, and it has a clean connection. Ive had that drivers side panel off alot lately...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Door Locks Not Working