Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power door lock switch "clicks", any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power door lock switch "clicks", any ideas?

First off - this forum is awesome. I just got a 2000 Cherokee Sport and it's great to see everyone else that loves their XJ as much as I do. The forum's already helped me solve my defrost-only HVAC, the window lock issue, and a broken speaker wire.

Everyone day or so the power locks stop working. When I go to lock/unlock the doors from either the passenger or driver's side door, I just hear a click from underneath both switches, but the motors don't lock/unlock the doors. It almost sounds like a relay is being energized, but nothing happens. It will then randomly start working again.

I've already re-wired a lot of the driver's side door to fix the window lock issue, and to install new speaker wires since the other ones has snapped, so I'm pretty sure it's not wire related, at least on the driver's side. When it warms up I plan on opening up the passenger door to check for broken/shorted wires, but it seems like this might be an issue w/ the switch itself, or a relay.

I've searched all over the forum as well as other sites, but haven't found anyone with the same issue. Just thought I'd see if anyone had a recommendation.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: I6

im gonna say actuator? not a 100% sure though
Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 AM

I'm having the same exact issue on my 2001. Did it turn out to be the actuator? I'm thinking it might be a bad solenoid or a malfunctioing panel on the passenger door.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 PM

Any luck with this.... My doors occasionally worked when I first got mine a year ago, now I just get a click coming from the passenger door area.
I have replaced the switch panel with a used one and no difference.

Almost sounds like a relay clicking but nothing happens other than the click
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Same issue. All my doors actually worked for a week (it was so nice) and now they went back to the "click". Anyone have an answer?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:48 AM

Actually now that im thinking about this, all four worked for a week and then just the rear liftgate worked on and off for a few months and now just the click.

I think we gotta get in there when it warms up a little and get some voltage readings at the switch....
Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by jdumont
Actually now that im thinking about this, all four worked for a week and then just the rear liftgate worked on and off for a few months and now just the click.

I think we gotta get in there when it warms up a little and get some voltage readings at the switch....
cold weather will cause alot of things to stick and stiffen up id try some lube on all moving parts in mechanisms could undo rod see if they work
Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

My 99 does this, pretty rarely though - it will act up about once a week. I have found if i open the passenger door and/or use the passenger lock switch, they work again. I will probably look for a passenger door actuator and switch next time I make it to the jy.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM

I narrowed this down on my Jeep to a bad window/door lock control module on the passenger side. It was hard to diagnose, but finally I just got both the driver's side and passenger side control modules and tested by replacing each module. Started with the driver's side... no change. Put back the original. Changed out the passenger side and bingo... the locks all started working normally. It seems odd that a bad module on the passenger door would affect all the locks. I guess I'd assumed that the driver's side module acted as a "master" and was somewhat independent of the other. Not the case... it must be a complete circuit, and when one is bad, no locks will work right.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Denver_Phil
I narrowed this down on my Jeep to a bad window/door lock control module on the passenger side. It was hard to diagnose, but finally I just got both the driver's side and passenger side control modules and tested by replacing each module. Started with the driver's side... no change. Put back the original. Changed out the passenger side and bingo... the locks all started working normally. It seems odd that a bad module on the passenger door would affect all the locks. I guess I'd assumed that the driver's side module acted as a "master" and was somewhat independent of the other. Not the case... it must be a complete circuit, and when one is bad, no locks will work right.
Looks like I'm buying one of these today. I'm tired of having to manually unlock/lock all 4 doors. Tried everything else but never tried this
Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 AM

It makes sense. The passenger door module is the brain for the locks. The drivers is just the switch. I suppose the used module I got could also be bad and I replaced a bad part with a bad part....

ugh.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have the same issue on my '99. Does someone have the part number for the passenger side switch?
Thanks
Nick
Old 05-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Default passenger door lock switch clicking repeatedly.

I'm gonna try a different method to fix this issue. I found a replacement relay for the switch panel. I'm gonna replace both relays and see if this fixes the issue. I will update either way. If it works then it's only a $10 fix.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 PM

I just got my jeep few days ago and just got it on the road legal today and it Just started doing this to me after it rained out bad. Power windows work but the lock switch does not work and i hear a clicking noise over on the passenger side. Lucky the guy i bought it from had extra control panels so i will be trying out that. It sucks when my key doesnt work to manually open the doors. So i need to buy new locks for it and maybe the acuator thing you guys are talking about. Looking forward to hearing if that worked for you Matt.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:13 PM

So I ended up soldering where the plug attaches to the board, good as new. I hit every solder joint and some weren't visibly cracked on top but were under the surface.

Quick Reply: Power door lock switch "clicks", any ideas?