Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

which parts to retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default which parts to retrofit

I just got an 89 xj and was wondering if I should swap anything over from my stock 99 that grandma hit a tree at the bumper mount. (bent the subframe) Also have a 95 mustang that is no good; cant i use the injectors from it? Thanks guys.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 PM

So nobody has a recommendation on how to better my 89 with a 99???? MAybe the transfer case? Or engine components?

Last edited by 798JMan; 01-02-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L I6

the center console
Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

The front axle would be a good swap as long as it's the same gear ratio. (To check this, check the little tags attached to the differential cover bolts.) Depending on the rear axle that's in your rig, it might also be a good idea to swap that aswell... 8.25 is far superior to the D35. As stated before, the center console wouldn't be a bad idea... it adds cupholders and the lids don't break as often. If both xj's have the same number of doors, research on swaping them.. it's a big improvement. The back seat will bolt right into your xj and is much more comfortable, but the front will require some bracket fabrication. If the xj was hit in the rear then take the front end parts off of it and swap yours. (If you like the newer style)
Old 01-02-2011, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

i the radiator hurt,swap the cooling system
Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

how bad is the damage?
if it's just a simple bend, it can be fixed.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the response guys. As far as the damage goes, it was hit in the front passenger side bumper support. It doesnt look bad maybe a fender, hood, bumper. Its in Missouri and Im going down there Friday to visit (I cant store vehicles in town in Wisconsin) so I'll be able to assess it again. But, I checked out the subframe and it appeared to be bent. I'll compare it to my 89s frame when I get there. I'm bringing the 89 back with me. I really like the older models due to the wing vent but I really like the interior on the new ones. So many opinions. To change the doors do i need the newer fenders too? Mine is a Wagoneer model and the PO took the wood grain off so now there are ALOT of holes everywhere. I was going to rattle can it anyways so maybe a door swap isnt such a bad idea. hmmmm As far as the Mustang question goes, its a 95 5.0 and I read in the junkyard tech that thoey have the 4 hole injectors so I think I'll try those out. I also read about using T-bird front coils to lift my xj; I think mustangs and t-birds have the same chassis. Anybody confirm this? If they dont work I have more vehicles at my disposal like a 2wd f-150 and yotas and many older vehicles. Give me some input guys. Thanks, Jake.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 798JMan
Thanks for the response guys. As far as the damage goes, it was hit in the front passenger side bumper support. It doesnt look bad maybe a fender, hood, bumper. Its in Missouri and Im going down there Friday to visit (I cant store vehicles in town in Wisconsin) so I'll be able to assess it again. But, I checked out the subframe and it appeared to be bent. I'll compare it to my 89s frame when I get there. I'm bringing the 89 back with me. I really like the older models due to the wing vent but I really like the interior on the new ones. So many opinions. To change the doors do i need the newer fenders too? Mine is a Wagoneer model and the PO took the wood grain off so now there are ALOT of holes everywhere. I was going to rattle can it anyways so maybe a door swap isnt such a bad idea. hmmmm As far as the Mustang question goes, its a 95 5.0 and I read in the junkyard tech that thoey have the 4 hole injectors so I think I'll try those out. I also read about using T-bird front coils to lift my xj; I think mustangs and t-birds have the same chassis. Anybody confirm this? If they dont work I have more vehicles at my disposal like a 2wd f-150 and yotas and many older vehicles. Give me some input guys. Thanks, Jake.
If the damage isn't too bad, maybe you'd just be better off keeping the 99 and fixing it up.

Most people swap '97+ doors on their older Xj's because the wing windows you love are extremely problematic as far as leaks go, aswell with other perks to the newer doors. I also love my wing windows, but am very tired of them leaking every time it rains or the Jeep gets washed. Here's a popular article involving the door swap: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...ade/index.html I would think swapping older doors on a newer Xj would work just the same. The hardest part about the door swap is alligning the new doors which just takes a lot of small adjustments until you get it right.

I believe the entire interior of a '97+ Xj can be swapped into an older Xj minus the D-Pillar plastics, the hatch panel, the kick plate in the cargo area, and the dashboard, but I could be wrong.

What color are the injectors on the mustang?

P.S. My name is also Jake
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Hmph. I didnt know they leaked. I have only been around it for 2 days since I bought it in August. (Work on the road) I naturally like a wing vent because I smoke. And any smoker would understand. is the leaky wing vent worse than the broken regulators in the 97+?????
Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 798JMan
Hmph. I didnt know they leaked. I have only been around it for 2 days since I bought it in August. (Work on the road) I naturally like a wing vent because I smoke. And any smoker would understand. is the leaky wing vent worse than the broken regulators in the 97+?????
Regulators can be replaced fairly easily and inexpensively using used parts from a junk yard. Good luck finding wing windows for your Xj that don't leak!

You could always buy new seals for the wing windows... But for the price of the seals, you could get one, maybe two doors from the junkyard (Depending on the pricing at your local junkyard). The wing window seals are second from the bottom: http://www.teamcherokee.com/Weatherstrip/index.html

Other benifits to the door swap would be plastic door panels, larger mirrors (Which can bolt onto older Xj doors if you so choose), and exterior door handles that are easier to push and are less likely to stiffen up with age.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 PM

Will the new window switches plug into the old harness or would I need to splice a little?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Swap the interiors. It's bolt up.

But seriously, swap the 8.25 too, I just put the older D35 in mine, replacing my newer D35, and finding hardware for it is stupid. Keep it simple, and stronger. Also if it's still good, grab the radiator, overflow bottle.

Open cooling system ftw. But if you're on about subframe damage, I doubt it.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:01 PM

Another question . . . . Can I swap the tranny/TC or is mine better? My 89 has the 2hi/4pt/4hi/4lo and auto; the 99 has 2hi/4hi/4lo and is an auto as well. So I think a 242 to a 231 if im correct. Oh and my 89 has a sport mode which I think changes the shift points. (correct me please) Will my 99 tranny in-turn have this feature?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

willing to sell parts off the 99??
Old 01-04-2011, 11:39 PM

Maybe but Im not going to be there long enough to part it out unless its worth my time and I wont use it on my 89. Whatcha NEED?

Quick Reply: which parts to retrofit