Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

p0132 OBDII code - "O2 sensor high voltage" - ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L I-4
Default p0132 OBDII code - "O2 sensor high voltage" - ???

My check engine light came on Saturday night, so I went to Advance and used their OBDII code puller and came up with "p0132 - O2 sensor high voltage." Anyone ever get this code before? Sounds like it could be a wiring issue in the sensor, or the sensor itself. It could just be in my head, but I think my gas mileage has gone way down since it threw the code. I'm gonna replace the O2 sensor asap, but I let my pal borrow my Haynes manual and I'm lost without it Do XJs only have one O2 sensor on the cat, or is there two like on other vehicles? I've only ever noticed the one on the cat. And how hard is it to change an O2 sensor?

TIA.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Any OBD2 system should have and upstream(pre-cat) and downstream(after-cat) sensor.

Changing the 02 sensor should be plug-n-play. You may wanna spray some liquid wrench on the bung-hole (HEH, that just sounds screwy).
Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Lube up by bung-hole. Got it!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Okay so I looked it over, and I can still only find the downstream O2 sensor. Where the hell is the one before the cat located?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:54 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Have you looked at the downpipe just below where it connects to the exhaust manifold?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TrueBlueXJ
Okay so I looked it over, and I can still only find the downstream O2 sensor. Where the hell is the one before the cat located?

Seriously though. After you locate the sensor, I'd do my best to trace the wires and verify none are crimped or frayed. I'd even re-set the PCM and see if the code returns. The reason you're fuel economy went down is because sometimes when a PCM "throws a code" it resorts to a safe operating mode and richens up the air/fuel mixture.

FYI, I'm no XJ expert. This is pretty typical OBDII functioning processes.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

True the Renix has only one and it is located on the downpipe just after the header bolts. I assume that it didn't change on later models just added to for the downstream one. Check that it has not had the wiring chafed or burnt. That can easily happen. Let us know what you find.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Have you looked at the downpipe just below where it connects to the exhaust manifold?
Found it.

I kept looking around there, but I just couldn't see it. They both look to be in similar condition, so I'm gonna change them both.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
True the Renix has only one and it is located on the downpipe just after the header bolts. I assume that it didn't change on later models just added to for the downstream one. Check that it has not had the wiring chafed or burnt. That can easily happen. Let us know what you find.
No sign of crimped, frayed or burnt wiring. The downstream sensor on the catalytic converter, however, does have a nice rock sized dent in it. I dunno if that could cause it or not. Both censors appear to be in similar condition otherwise.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Check the fuses in the engine compartment. On a 97 there is an O2 sensor fuse. That can give you the CEL light. I had the O2 harness rub on the driveshaft, wore through the wire insul. and blew the fuse changed the fuse reset the system, and have had no problems since,
Old 09-22-2010, 04:05 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: Inline-6 4.0L

I know this is an old thread, but I'd bet this is a common problem and maybe worth bringing back to people's attention.

I had a '98 Wrangler, and I guess a common problem with them was the upstream O2 sensor. My Jeep would surge and sputter violently as if it wasn't getting fuel or something (or like a kid was stomping on and off the clutch). But it would only do this for a short while, and then it was okay again, until maybe a week or so later when it would do it again. Finally, the check engine light came on, and I had it read at an AutoZone.

Anyway, it turned out to be the upstream O2 sensor, located on the exhaust manifold. And like I said, it seemed to be a common problem with these engines.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:53 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

Originally Posted by bandaidbilly
I know this is an old thread, but I'd bet this is a common problem and maybe worth bringing back to people's attention.

I had a '98 Wrangler, and I guess a common problem with them was the upstream O2 sensor. My Jeep would surge and sputter violently as if it wasn't getting fuel or something (or like a kid was stomping on and off the clutch). But it would only do this for a short while, and then it was okay again, until maybe a week or so later when it would do it again. Finally, the check engine light came on, and I had it read at an AutoZone.

Anyway, it turned out to be the upstream O2 sensor, located on the exhaust manifold. And like I said, it seemed to be a common problem with these engines.

Im having this same problem with my 98 XJ. I have replaced both o2 sensors, and the cat, muffler and tail pipe. I couldnt imagine any of those have failed in a few thousand miles. So I looked around, I found the wires leading to the up stream o2 sensor burnt. They have been pressed to the headers and burned through and shorted. How do I go about replacing these wires? To clarify I'm talking about the wires leading from the fuel rail area down to the clip for the up stream o2 sensors, about half way down its melted. Thanks for any help.