Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

oxygen sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default oxygen sensor

I have 1990 laredo
Need to know how to replace the oxygen sensor
thx
Old 06-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

hmm, so do I, so I'll keep an eye on this myself
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would recommend a Wrench. Got to be one of the easiest sensors to change out.

Just get down there and take a look should be pretty self explanatory from there.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

unscrew one, screw the other in? Do you need to seal the threads for any reason?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:29 PM

Year: 1996

put some neverseaze on the new one to make it easier on yourself next time sometimes they are very hard to get out
Old 06-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by jd4x426
put some neverseaze on the new one to make it easier on yourself next time sometimes they are very hard to get out
Thanks will do
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by kidkodiak
unscrew one, screw the other in? Do you need to seal the threads for any reason?
No.

The new sensor should come with some copper-based anti-seize, check before you leave the parts house. If it does not, tell them to get it out of another box (I haven't seen a sensor that didn't ship with the stuff in twenty years or so...)

The hex is 7/8" (standardised, they're also all an M18-1.5 thread...) and you can get an "Oxygen Sensor Socket" - which is an extra-deep 7/8" socket with a slot milled in the side to clear the wiring.

The socket makes the job easier. Remove the sensor when warm, as it comes out easier that way.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 5-90
No.

The new sensor should come with some copper-based anti-seize, check before you leave the parts house. If it does not, tell them to get it out of another box (I haven't seen a sensor that didn't ship with the stuff in twenty years or so...)

The hex is 7/8" (standardised, they're also all an M18-1.5 thread...) and you can get an "Oxygen Sensor Socket" - which is an extra-deep 7/8" socket with a slot milled in the side to clear the wiring.

The socket makes the job easier. Remove the sensor when warm, as it comes out easier that way.
Yeah, my husband checked and it has the anti-sieze. Thanks for the hex size. Do you need to disconnect the battery?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by katiness
Yeah, my husband checked and it has the anti-sieze. Thanks for the hex size. Do you need to disconnect the battery?
On RENIX? No. You can if you want to make sure you're perfectly safe (OK - as safe as you can get. Mechanical work is inherently dangerous at some level - metal is harder than you are...) but there are no high-current leads or signals in that area, and you don't have to wait for the ECU to "relearn" that it has a new HEGO. RENIX adapts from programme everytime it starts running anyhow.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM

On RENIX? No. You can if you want to make sure you're perfectly safe (OK - as safe as you can get. Mechanical work is inherently dangerous at some level - metal is harder than you are...) but there are no high-current leads or signals in that area, and you don't have to wait for the ECU to "relearn" that it has a new HEGO. RENIX adapts from programme everytime it starts running anyhow.

Thanks great to know
Old 05-22-2015, 09:11 PM

Year: 90

Does that mean if I buy a header that does not have O2 threads, that I can just unplug them and be fine? Has anyone else encountered this?
Old 05-23-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by burningcabbage
Does that mean if I buy a header that does not have O2 threads, that I can just unplug them and be fine? Has anyone else encountered this?
Welcome to the forum! You have just revived a six year old post!lol. Good rule of thumb is to check the date and if it's old, start a new post. Now on to your question. In order to answer accurately you need to provide your Jeep info, year, trim level, engine type etc. There are a couple of variants on exhaust, some with 4 O2 sensors and some with 2. You can't leave them unplugged, your engine will not run well without the data from the sensors. You need to buy a header designed for your year. Post up your details and folks will dial you in...
Old 05-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Welcome to the forum! You have just revived a six year old post!lol. Good rule of thumb is to check the date and if it's old, start a new post. Now on to your question. In order to answer accurately you need to provide your Jeep info, year, trim level, engine type etc. There are a couple of variants on exhaust, some with 4 O2 sensors and some with 2. You can't leave them unplugged, your engine will not run well without the data from the sensors. You need to buy a header designed for your year. Post up your details and folks will dial you in...

Ha! I guess that would help, huh? I asked this question in a different thread (that you and cruiser replied to) and basically got the info I was looking for, but its a 90 laredo 4.0 4x4, only one O2 sensor above the downpipe flange. sorry I didnt realize there was a statute of limitation on threads. I just thought everyone got tired of answering O2 questions.....back in 2008
Old 05-23-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by burningcabbage
Ha! I guess that would help, huh? I asked this question in a different thread (that you and cruiser replied to) and basically got the info I was looking for, but its a 90 laredo 4.0 4x4, only one O2 sensor above the downpipe flange. sorry I didnt realize there was a statute of limitation on threads. I just thought everyone got tired of answering O2 questions.....back in 2008
LOL, nobody ever gets tired of O2 questions! I wonder if you could just swap in a later model down pipe with the bung for the O2 sensor further down? The fitting moved down I believe in 91.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:42 PM

right, so either try to order the correct year and return the current one or try to get a downpipe that has the spot for the sensor. choices choices!

Quick Reply: oxygen sensor