Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #1

View snail 2WD's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default Oil pressure switch

Where is the oil pressure switch? My Haynes manual doesn't even acknowledge it exists . My gauge is acting funny, and I would like to replace the switch to see if it fixes the gauge.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #2

View athenscj5's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

It is between the distributor and the oil dipstick coming off of the top of the block.
athenscj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #3

View acmech13's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

they are probally calling it a oil sender unit. its what u may break if u try to take your oil filter out throu the top. its directly on top of your filter. and its threaded to the oil filters housing.I broke mine on my last oil change its like 18 bucks. you don't even have to drain your oil nothing leaks out.
acmech13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
CF Veteran

View smtippin's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail 2WD View Post
Where is the oil pressure switch? My Haynes manual doesn't even acknowledge it exists . My gauge is acting funny, and I would like to replace the switch to see if it fixes the gauge.
The oil pressure sending unit is above your oil filter as was previously stated. The cost, however, is different for different years (for whatever reason). The cheapest sending unit I could find was about $40 for my 96, but the renix models can get them for under $20. Make sure you refer to it as the 'oil pressure sending unit' as the folk at the parts counter may or may not give you the right piece.

s
smtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #5

1994 Cherokee

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...sending%20unit___
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #6

1999 Cherokee

Alright now that I know where to look I can swap the darn thing. I already bought the sender, and it was 50 bucks for my Jeep . Hopefully this will fix the problem, because I don't care for red warning lamps on my dash .
Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
CF Veteran

View smtippin's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail 2WD View Post
Alright now ththat I know where to look I can swap the darn thing. I already bought the sender, and it was 50 bucks for my Jeep . Hopefully this will fix the problem, because I don't care for red warning lamps on my dash .

Make sure you get the right one. There is one for a gauge cluster with warning lights and one for a cluster with actual gauges. Hopefully the parts folk specified that for you.

s
smtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #8

1999 Cherokee

They didn't specify that, luckily I did my research first. I replaced it about an hour ago, and all is good now
Old 03-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #9

1994 Cherokee

the next time i gotta replace my sender unit im gonna change its position were it sits so its not in the way when i remove my oil filter. Did this take care of your problem
Old 10-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #10

View klassic's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Smile

Thanks for this post. Just joined up to add any help i can. Recently picked up my 1998 cherokee 2 door sport, and got the real gauges off of eBay to replace those pointless IDIOT LIGHT gauges. i think i had a faulty oil sending unit before (would read on and off when it wanted to), and when i put the new gauges in, all worked except for the oil pressure gauge.

a purchase of a new sender unit ($30.99 at advance auto), gauges are 100% working. just to add a note: on my 1998 cherokee, the oil sender switch is located to the right of the distributor (looking down from the passenger side of the jeep), and it screws straight down into the block. i guess chysler moved it from above the filter for obvious reasons. the replacment is fairly easy. the sensor is easy to see, a bit of a pain to get to with the a/c compressor and lines being somewhat in the way. the socket will help a 1000 times, but you can do the job without it. took me 15 minutes start to finish.

that plastic sensor is garbage, though...the old one broke when i was just trying to unsnap the electrical plug (yep, i removed the red slide lock first). worked out for me, though...i was able to put a 1 1/16 socket on the part that screwed in, and took it out quick. not sure i would have been able to do that with just the open end wrenches i had.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:54 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech