Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 PM
rod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default oil pressure

hi im new and need some help please, i have just bought my first jeep cherokee 4.0l LTD six cynlider 1996 82600 miles FSH,
everything works fine but im a bit concerned about the oil pressure, it stays on the low part of the gauge, is this normal or not,
the other thing the battery runs flat if left parked for a couple of days,
and has anyone got a user manual for this, that i could buy as theres so many buttons and things, im not sure what im doing half the time.

many thanks rod
Old 05-16-2009, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Would be best to install a mech oil gauge to see what your pressure really is, but can be normal for the 4.0L
As far as battery goes, sounds like you have a power drain/charging system issue. Just drive it more (=
Old 05-16-2009, 03:49 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by rod
hi im new and need some help please, i have just bought my first jeep cherokee 4.0l LTD six cynlider 1996 82600 miles FSH,
everything works fine but im a bit concerned about the oil pressure, it stays on the low part of the gauge, is this normal or not,
the other thing the battery runs flat if left parked for a couple of days,
and has anyone got a user manual for this, that i could buy as theres so many buttons and things, im not sure what im doing half the time.

many thanks rod
Hi and welcome to CF from NJ. I PM'ed you something...Tj
Old 05-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

I have a 96 also and the oil pressure is usually around 60psi on the dash gauge. Mechanical gauges are good, but runing the tubing and placing the guage under or in the dash may or may not be that easy. I would suggest replacing the oil sending unit located next to the oil filter. I sending unit has the wire attached to it. You just unscrew the unit and replace with a new one, sometimes a small dirt particle gets stuck in the small hole in the sending unit and this will give low readings on the dash gauge.
As for the Battery problem, take the vehicle to a shop and have a battery system check. Most Sears auto shops can do this test for $12.99.
Have the shop can do a load test on the battery (to see if battery is holding a charge). Using a volt meter will always read 12+ volts at the post, but the problem is the internal plates are shorting out and not holding the charge from the alternator. If the battery is good, then the next step would be to check the condition of the battery cables. Are they dirty at the connections and need cleaned. After that, is the alternator diodes working properly. The shop can check all that with a midtronics unit. Most shops have a unit similar to it.
E-bay always has owner manuals for same or the local auto scrap yard has older jeeps sitting around. If they let you look for parts, check the glove boxes to see if the owners manual was left behind.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Get a Haynes or Chilton manual for your Jeep at your local parts store.