Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L high output
Default oil leak

I've found a cherokee i am going to buy, but it leaks a little oil. I was wondering what are common causes of this.
also the guy im getting it from says its because the jeep needs a new oil cap, does this make sense?
should i get away from this as soon as possible because it'd be a bad buy?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:10 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Well oil leaks can be from a few places.. Rear Main Seal, Adaptor where you mount the oil filter, Rear part of valve cover gasket, oil cap and I think that about covers the common ones...Depends on where it's leaking from on whether to buy or not..If it's the rear main seal that would cost about $500 or so for a shop to replace just incase you need negotiating power.. Everything else are simple fixes..Rear main would be easy enough to do yourself just takes some time and is messy.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:17 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mocXI
I've found a cherokee i am going to buy, but it leaks a little oil. I was wondering what are common causes of this.
also the guy im getting it from says its because the jeep needs a new oil cap, does this make sense?
should i get away from this as soon as possible because it'd be a bad buy?
Sounds like you need a mechanic to check it out before you buy it.

Unless it's a $500 Jeep.

I'm assuming you aren't particularly mechanically inclined based on your first post? Jeeps leak. It's extremely common for them to do that. Fixing Jeep leaks is usually an optional maintenance item. Just keep checking your oil level and keep it full.

If it really bugs you, you could get the leak fixed.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:37 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L high output

Thanks, that helps a lot. I do know a good amount about jeeps, but its more about their suspension, and electrical and things of that nature. I know that stuff from helping my friends with their lifts, and lights and such. Actual engine problems im still learning about, and its a bit of a slow process.
also, ok so the only one that would be a real problem would be the rear main seal, my dad said for that you would have to pull the block is that true?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

NO it can be done engine in the Jeep but it as you have been warned is very messy.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:07 PM

Year: 1992 Laredo
Engine: 6 cylinder
Red face mine leaks too...

Originally Posted by 120mm
Sounds like you need a mechanic to check it out before you buy it.

Unless it's a $500 Jeep.

I'm assuming you aren't particularly mechanically inclined based on your first post? Jeeps leak. It's extremely common for them to do that. Fixing Jeep leaks is usually an optional maintenance item. Just keep checking your oil level and keep it full.

If it really bugs you, you could get the leak fixed.
I bought my 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo for $1400 two years ago. I have had a small oil leak from rear mail seal, as well as a gasket leak, which was fixed, but the rear main seal leak was not and it really didn't bother me. I was told to replace the rear main seal and get the parts from a salvage yard from a newer Jeep like mine. The part is seriously a few bucks from the salvage yard and the costly thing is paying my mechanic to do it. So now it's leaking more and more when the car idles...so I think it's time to finally get it fixed. Sounds like it was the same kind of leak you were having on your Jeep. I had TONS of problems on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler and have had two small fixes on my 92 Laredo, the alternator and the starter I had replaced. Other than the oil leak my Jeep is super reliable and extremely fun to drive. I love my Jeep, even if it leaks. Best $1400 I've spent, seriously.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0HO

the rearmainseal isnt that hard to fix, i replaced mine about 6 months ago. the seal only cost around $13.00 but go ahead and buy two cause you will probably mess the first one up trying to get it in place then take it back if you dont. get a chiltons or haynes manual. best thing i ever did. good luck!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

double check to find where the leak is coming from before you buy it it really depends on what is leaking and where its leaking from also the price of the jeep has alot to do with wether its worth it or not any one of the most common oil leak spots rear main seal valve cover oil filter adpater oil cap and oil sending unit are less then $50 if you do them yourself
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Year: 1992 Laredo
Engine: 6 cylinder

Well I'm not doing it myself, I have a great mechanic who is doing it Thursday....but now there is coolant leaking and car started smoking. from underneath...not from engine though. Anyhow, I'm taking it to the mechanic Wednesday and not even to bother driving it till then. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Originally Posted by mocXI
Thanks, that helps a lot. I do know a good amount about jeeps, but its more about their suspension, and electrical and things of that nature. I know that stuff from helping my friends with their lifts, and lights and such. Actual engine problems im still learning about, and its a bit of a slow process.
also, ok so the only one that would be a real problem would be the rear main seal, my dad said for that you would have to pull the block is that true?
You don't have to the block in order to replace the rear main seal, you have to drain the oil, remove the oil pan, remove the rear main cap and now you have access to the rear main seal. the seal is in two pieces so the bottom is on the main cap and is the easiest to replace. the top portion of the seal you have to tap out with a punch, just be extremely careful not to score the crank, because if you do you can have some big problems down the road if it's not fixed.