Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

o2 sensor wiring on 98 sport???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default o2 sensor wiring on 98 sport???

So here's what i've got. Last week my drive shaft tour off my o2 sensor wiring, so now what i have is the stock wiring from the engine and a new o2 sensor from bosch. Heres the problem, there are no couplings to just plug into each other, just have to splice them somehow. Next problem, the stock wire colors are completely different from the wiring on my new bosch o2 sensor, "so i dont know what colors to match them up with". Bosch = black, gray and 2 whites. Stock = black, with 3 other colors i cant remember. Last problem, the bosch o2 sensor wiring is too short to reach the stock wiring so iam having to use trailer light wiring for the 6 in. gap in the middle....side note... those are also 4 different colors... I dont think this should matter as long as i get the stock and o2 wiring matched up. So i guess the big question is does anybody know what color goes with what or were i could find this info. i think the black wire is the ground wire but thats as far as ive gotten. Thanks in advance and keep on jeepin on.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

there should be a plug on the new o2 and on the jeep. unless that's part of the section you tore off. i don't know the what matches what, and the ecm may not take too kindly to just trying the wires to see what works and what wouldn't. id go to the jy, and snip off a section of the wiring with the plug that's long enough to plug your new o2 sensor.

oh, and Ive had bad luck with Bosch 02 sensors in domestic products. They seem to fail sooner than they should when ever ive installed one in a North American vehicle. NGK seems to be a better choice in a NA product.

just my 2 cents lol
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Sure do... Got a pair of pigtails sitting in front of me right now...

Jeep Side - O2 sensor side

Brown with yellow - grey
green with white - white
solid black - white
light brown with white - black