Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Tail lights, no dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default No Tail lights, no dash lights

90 XJ. Have no dash lights or tail lights. Brake lights work when I push the brake pedal. When I pulled the old plunger out for the headlight/dimmer switch, the headlights would work too. I checked the fuse, it was blown. I then put a new fuse in then pulled the plunger out as to turn it on and the fuse blew.

I since went and bought a new switch but cant find where i put the ******* plunger. Is there any way I can bypass this switch and just make my own switches or hardwire them?

Any help is appreciated. I hate not driving when its dark.

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

OK-Did you do anything in the back hatch area? I just had the same issue. I had the inside panel off to fix up some wiring. I found two wires that weren't connected. I connected them. Turns out they are 12V leads for an alternate license plate light location. Lesson learned. Un-connected them and taped them up, all is fine now.

The plunger comes out if you press the tab on top of the switch. It's a pain. I don't think the switch is the problem. You probably have a short somewhere. These headlight switches were very common so most junkyards should have the *****. Dorman makes a universal ****. Search dorman part #76897. Also, I say some on ebay.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 67 GMC
OK-Did you do anything in the back hatch area? I just had the same issue. I had the inside panel off to fix up some wiring. I found two wires that weren't connected. I connected them. Turns out they are 12V leads for an alternate license plate light location. Lesson learned. Un-connected them and taped them up, all is fine now.

The plunger comes out if you press the tab on top of the switch. It's a pain. I don't think the switch is the problem. You probably have a short somewhere. These headlight switches were very common so most junkyards should have the *****. Dorman makes a universal ****. Search dorman part #76897. Also, I say some on ebay.
I actually just did some work around the fender area where the wiring harness travels to the rear lights and hatch. Maybe its in there. It worked for a while after I did the fender work then I slowly lost dash lights, then tail lights. I'll look in there for a wiring issue.

Also, thanks for the part number. Just got the new **** in, so I'll try and get on it tommorrow.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Do your reverse lights and signal lights work? Don't rule out that license plate light getting grounded out. Mine was just laying loose in there. Also, if you have trailer wiring, there could be short there. Do you need a wiring diagram?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:39 PM

My reverse and signal lights work. No dash or tail lights. Where would I look for the license plate light wiring? The back hatch?

If you have a wiring diagram, that would be great!
Old 12-15-2014, 06:34 PM

The license plate light is in the back panel. Mine was running along the top near the bottom of the glass.
Try this one:
Attached Thumbnails No Tail lights, no dash lights-wiring.jpg