Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no start, fuel pump not kicking on,f-pumps good, have spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default no start, fuel pump not kicking on,f-pumps good, have spark

i dont get this. last night i was driving and stopped at a 7-11 and decided while i was there to adjust my drum breaks cause they were feelin a bit week. well after some friends arrived i tried starting up my jeep and it started but ran like crap... it was sputtering so i cut it off. i tried starting it again and it did the same except it died.. than it would no longer start. i decided to check for spark and i had spark... my friend got shocked as hell lol... checked fuel and it was weak... couldnt hear the pump kick on or anything.. what is the next step i should take??
Old 08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

if the pump is weak you might want to replace it. But first, check the wiring going to the pump, make sure you're getting the right voltage going to it, and that you've got a good ground. i don't have the specs for the voltage, but i'm sure you could find it in a write-up or something here on the forum.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:35 PM

i just replaced it with another pump and still no pump kicking on.. is there a fuse or relay for this somewhere? i about to go run some jumper wires to the pump and see if it'lll run like that..
Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 PM

i just dont see why it would start up barely run than not start when 10 min earlier it was running perfect. FML
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 AM

Year: 98

Same problem here. Pulled out a bunch of my hair, but finnally found a short in the wire harness at the end of the fuel rail. The edge of the rail had worn through the harness sleeve. Not much but enough to ground out the curcuit. I just wire tied it up enough to clear the rail.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

I agree with all on cehcking the wiring to the pump. My pump quit working a couple weeks ago when I was driving it home from my friends garage. Quit on me 6 times before I got home. Checked the main harness to the pump and I had voltage. Figured it was a bad pump. Pulled the tank and then the pump. Took the pump out of the canister, hooked it to the battery and it worked. Put it back in the canister and hooked the main harness back on the battery and nothing. Got to checking and the two wires going to the pump had pushed out of the harness. Snapped them back in and it worked fine. Puzzled the heck out of me because I didn't touch the pump or tank at any time while I was working on the XJ..Must of been them XJ gremlins at work..