Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start but has power

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No start but has power

My son has a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that has just deleveloped a starting problem.
When he goes to start it, all accessories lights, gauges, fuel pump, etc come on, but when I turn the key to crank, nothing at all happens.
There is a click that comes from the engine compartment when I turn it to crank but nothing else.
Tests done so far:

Wont jump Start
Bypassed the NSS no start.
Battery has normal voltages and power.
The solenoids getting power.
The starter relay is good.
Crossing the terminals on the celoniod with the key in the ignition does start the motor.

So battery is good, starter motor is good, starter relay is good, celonoid is also good.

What else could it be?

TIA
Old 05-15-2010, 09:05 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

Originally Posted by tommyis3
My son has a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that has just deleveloped a starting problem.
When he goes to start it, all accessories lights, gauges, fuel pump, etc come on, but when I turn the key to crank, nothing at all happens.
There is a click that comes from the engine compartment when I turn it to crank but nothing else.
Tests done so far:

Wont jump Start
Bypassed the NSS no start.
Battery has normal voltages and power.
The solenoids getting power.
The starter relay is good.
Crossing the terminals on the celoniod with the key in the ignition does start the motor.

So battery is good, starter motor is good, starter relay is good, celonoid is also good.

What else could it be?

TIA
What engine do you have?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Was battery tested with a multi meter or was it load tested? A bad battery can still show full voltage, but not have the amperage available under load. Check ALL grounds.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Its a 4. str motor straight 6, I have just tried another known good battery and still wont start.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Will starter turn if you do the old school, screw driver across the post and case trick? Still leaning to bad Grounds or bad starter
Old 05-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Yes motor will turn engine over and it will start, crossing terminals across the posts
Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

how did you bypass the n.s.s.? b+c terminal?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Yes B+C
Old 05-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Seasoned Member

I tried the b+c with a paper clip, it didn't start. I replaced the starter, and still no start I tried the jump again this time twisting a piece of wire and it started. I would try it again cause its so common for the n.s.s to go bad.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM

ok. I will try again.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Well tried the bypass again, still no start, and I an defiantly using B+C in the correct lug, followed the cable up from the transmission.

Anyhow to get him going, I ran a 12 awg wire from the small post on the solenoid and a 12 awg wire from the + post of the battery to a momentum starter switch, used a 30 amp inline fuse in the + wire. The Jeep starts every time first time now.

Could the NSS switch still be faulty even though bypassing it did not work (For me) it was also interesting to note that we do now not have reverse lights and the Jeep will not start in neutral.

If the NSS switch is the likely culprit I will take it off next weekend and clean it.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

Originally Posted by tommyis3
Well tried the bypass again, still no start, and I an defiantly using B+C in the correct lug, followed the cable up from the transmission.

Anyhow to get him going, I ran a 12 awg wire from the small post on the solenoid and a 12 awg wire from the + post of the battery to a momentum starter switch, used a 30 amp inline fuse in the + wire. The Jeep starts every time first time now.

Could the NSS switch still be faulty even though bypassing it did not work (For me) it was also interesting to note that we do now not have reverse lights and the Jeep will not start in neutral.

If the NSS switch is the likely culprit I will take it off next weekend and clean it.
i have the same exact problem with the same year jeep. when you turn the key to start it after the sdash lights come on, does it just go dead? almost like the battery instantly drained? if so please keep me posted on this issue and what steps you took to eliminate the culprit. this is killing me ive been dealing with it for quite a few days now. pm me or post in here if you dont mind please. thanks. sorry to hijack your thread but noone has been responding to the other one.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Seasoned Member

not trying to act like a smart *** but are you doing the jump to the harness at the engine bay or are you jumping the end that goes to the trans. I really have ran into like 50-60 of these at the old shop.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Seasoned Member

I bought my n.s.s. from a ebay site, I used the write up on here to clean the n.s.s. it did work but after a month or two I had to put it in neutral to get it to start. I'm not saying that it won't work, but for me I think mine was well worn out.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

Originally Posted by tj40
not trying to act like a smart *** but are you doing the jump to the harness at the engine bay or are you jumping the end that goes to the trans. I really have ran into like 50-60 of these at the old shop.
im going to try to jump it at the trans and see where that gets me. im having this same exact issue. i turn the key and all the lights come on, i turn it to start and a click from the engine bay, and no power or start after that. battery is good starter is good, i just dont know what to do from here. i hope its my nss but im not sure.

Last edited by 93XJRay; 05-16-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: No start but has power