Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

newbie needs help with performance upgrades

Old 07-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default newbie needs help with performance upgrades

hi I'm new to this forum but not to Cherokee's had a couple when i was younger. i got a 1999 xj limited now and want to upgrade as much as possible this is my daily driver and wont b wheelin with this 1, but not gonna completely rule it out. i plan on gettin a classic or sport for that later. Ive done some research on here and have learned a bit but need to know more with over all performance starting with better fuel efficient ive read on here that chips dont work apparently for jeeps. i am already thinking of gettin rustys ultimate xj performance kit with the cold air intake ,throttle body , spacer ,exhaust etc. if any one has some reviews on this kit it would b helpful or getting each piece individually either way! and will b changing my exsisting o.e.m. fan to electric. and if someone has any more tips id love the input. 2nd suspension id like to know as far as a budget lift id like a 2in" maybe 3in" lift what do i need for the best possible ride i will eventually will b putting on chrome 22"in rims later if that matters? id like to go cheap im on a budget but not to cheap were im skimping! so would like a parts list to research and try the d.i.y. way and from what i see its preferable to go this route to avoid a harsh/stiff ride anyways , before i get a kit? well ive got other questions but this would b a great start as much help would b greatly appreciated!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

well as much as i hate rims on a heep ive heard that performance package makes a big diff, elec fan is super easy, rough country or rubicon express are just about the best and most affordable suspensions out there, as far as the rims go make sure you have good back spacing so you dont rub the LCA(lower control arm).
Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 PM

thanx for the info since i have a limited right now and i think shes beautiful im going with a more modern stylish look since it is a limited edition and i got leather wood grain etc. after im done with this 1 im gonna start a sport or classic for wheelin .do u have a link to where i can learn to do the fan convertion? an how bout performance i see throttle body spacers may b pointless but i do alot of eway driving and no wheelin in this rigwould that help my situation and what headers r best i read some ebay type are good or apn are best??????? any other useful info or tips advise etc. is very helpful
Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93

as far as the fan i just wired it to a switch, im not sure as far as actual gains from the mods but ive heard good and bad about the TBS the good being that it worked and improved and bad being that it didnt do anything, as far as im concerned id get it, they arent that expensive. and headers i dont kno much about i havent done headers, im goin with a trail rig thru and thru, my pics can atest to that lol. and as far as tips on your build....be on the forum alot and ask any and all questions you may have, just from reading threads on here and asking questions and a haynes manual im confident that i could rebuild an engine pretty easily and ive only been on here for 7 months and didnt kno a thing about xj's. for doin the fan just unbolt the the mech fan, get your elec fan and run the lil zip tie things thru the fins on the rad and thru the fan its pretty easy once you take a look at the set up it will fall right into place

Last edited by claygrassmann; 07-20-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

chrome 22's. ballin'. haha

tb spacers are pretty much paper weight from what i've heard.you would probably be better off boring out the tb instead. theres not too much extra performance you can squeeze out of the XJ's other than maybe an intake, different cat/exhaust, etc.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:15 AM

Very cool and does anbody know or have any input about edge jammer products i saw a throttle body and module kit that sounds promising??? And hypertech any use on jeeps?????? And forreal good all around daily day to day performance as far as real good spark plugs , plug wires , rotor , all filters, , o2 sensors etc. Etc. Oh! And msd ignition products anything for cherokees there that will help my 99 limited
Old 07-21-2009, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

leave it stock put on you blingy's and put on a new glass pack and an air intake and call it good. no need for all the that other junk IMO. btw 22's on a jeep is murder to the jeep!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM

What do u mean 22"s are murder on a jeep???
Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Originally Posted by tom9193
What do u mean 22"s are murder on a jeep???
i mean 22's are not for a jeep but for a caprice,impala,crown vic, something like that. 22's on a jeep is murder to the jeep. its a 4x4 not blingXbling. again this is all person preference. the HO 4.0 is stout motor. ive seen them last for hundreds of thousands of miles. but the second you start adding perfromance enhancing items it tend to break easier. ask me how i know. im just tryin to save you the headache and your money.