Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New XJ owner without a User's Manual... help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New XJ owner without a User's Manual... help?

Hello all,

Recently purchased a 2001 4.0l Cherokee Sport and, being a first time Jeep owner without a User's Manual, I have a few questions.

The two front speakers aren't working. Is there any way to tell if it's due to faulty speakers or due to a faulty radio? How difficult is it to get into the door panels to test the speakers? Does there exist a guide to do so?

Has anyone created a guide to taking out and replacing the radio/head unit? I'd love to replace it with a newer radio with an AUX input, but have no idea where to start in the disassembly of the dash.

Does the column of shifting positions in the center console light up? Mine does not, and I'm not sure if it was never supposed to in the first place or not. It really sucks to have to turn the lights on on the ceiling when it's dark out just to see what gear you're in.

Does any one else's center console wobble? Mine seems to not be tightened down. Is this a normal thing that can be easily fixed?

The front doors tend to not want to stay open, is this fixable? The little bump in the arm that holds the door open seems to not be 'catching' and holding it open, if you get what I mean.

Thank you, I'm sure there were a lot of stupid questions in that, but hey, that's what you guys are here for!
Old 11-23-2014, 01:24 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Not stupid questions at all. Your best bet is to get a Factory Service Manual off of Ebay. Not cheap usually, but it has all the info you need to fix & maintain your Jeep.
I bought my '94 in September, and found the factory manual on Ebay. Best move I've made so far. Mine has everything you need to know, and then some. I have factory manuals for all my vehicles, and the Jeep manual is more detailed than the others.
That console should be lighted by the way. The manual will show how to remove the dash facia & how to remove the radio etc..

Good luck !

Bill
Old 11-23-2014, 01:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Auto parts stores also sell manual for around 20 dollars or so. A lot of useful info can be found there. Seeing its used have you checked to make sure theirs even speakers there ?
Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Thanatos
Hello all,

Recently purchased a 2001 4.0l Cherokee Sport and, being a first time Jeep owner without a User's Manual, I have a few questions.

The two front speakers aren't working. Is there any way to tell if it's due to faulty speakers or due to a faulty radio? How difficult is it to get into the door panels to test the speakers? Does there exist a guide to do so?

First, verify the FADE lever on the radio is at the mid position, or to "F".

Has anyone created a guide to taking out and replacing the radio/head unit? I'd love to replace it with a newer radio with an AUX input, but have no idea where to start in the disassembly of the dash.

Does the column of shifting positions in the center console light up? Mine does not, and I'm not sure if it was never supposed to in the first place or not. It really sucks to have to turn the lights on on the ceiling when it's dark out just to see what gear you're in.

Yes, there is a bulb to illuminate the shift positions.

Using a thin blade screwdriver, pry up the shift bezel from the left side, then pull it up. You'll see the bulb (lamp). The bulb is a type 658.

Does any one else's center console wobble? Mine seems to not be tightened down. Is this a normal thing that can be easily fixed?

While you have the shift bezel up, look for a screw(s) holding the console down. See if they are there and tight.

You can do the same thing for the transfer case shift bezel. Pull it up and look for the hold down screw(s).

Also, if you open the tub cover on the floor console you'll see two screws at the bottom of the tub. Tighten those.

The front doors tend to not want to stay open, is this fixable? The little bump in the arm that holds the door open seems to not be 'catching' and holding it open, if you get what I mean.

Thank you, I'm sure there were a lot of stupid questions in that, but hey, that's what you guys are here for!
For a pdf version of the Factory Service Manual, try Pacific Coast Manuals.com They have XJ FSM's cheap.

The FSM will have data concerning radios, dash disassembly, and door checks.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

The gear position indicator should light up.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by CCKen
For a pdf version of the Factory Service Manual, try Pacific Coast Manuals.com They have XJ FSM's cheap.

The FSM will have data concerning radios, dash disassembly, and door checks.
Best $10 you will ever spend and if you want a hardcopy its in PDF format, just print out what you need to work with then pitch it when your finished and its all greasy.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Thank you guys so much!