Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New starter brings thumping + Grinding under feet after new tranny mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New starter brings thumping + Grinding under feet after new tranny mount

Hello,

New here, but frequent reader. Ive searched all day trying to find my specific issues but have had no luck. Fingers crossed for you all

2000 4x4 Jeep Cherokee Sport Automatic- had it for 8 yrs, still in love.

Mechanic replaced my starter yesterday with a brand new one - but the new one sounds insane, as in very intense thumping instead of the normal 'cranking' before it starts. It starts right up dont get me wrong - but the thumping is almost violent. My mechanic says its normal, but Ive never heard ANY car start with such intense thumping. Is there a 'breaking in period' ...or could it be defective? I stressed to my mechanic how it doesn't seem right but he swears its right. Any insight is much appreciated.

Also, had my transmission mount replaced yesterday during the same visit.
After leaving the shop and exiting the freeway, i accelerated from a red light and Id say between 1st and 2nd gear - I felt some grinding right under my feet. No sounds - just the feel of some grinding that goes away once i hit 30-40 mph. Almost everytime Im at a stop and then go, the grind feeling shows up then disappears. When in reverse as well, it also feels like a slight grind/vibration is happening that wasnt there before taking her in.

Always fun to drop cash for repairs to leave with more issues at hand :/
I want to drive her a little more today before calling my mechanic tomorrow - but thought Id run this by here, while i cant stop thinking about it at work.

Thanks in advance for any help.
xo
Old 03-03-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

You need to go to a different mechanic. Something is definitely not right.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

No. That is NOT normal and you should not let it fly. Could be a defective starter. Doublecheck the starter bolts. If they are loose the starter can move around. Hopefully they didnt strip anything. Is the inspection cover loose? Did they mess with the flexplate/convertor bolts at all? Even if they didnt, they are worth checking. If thats not it, maybe the starter gear is moving back and forth on its on for some reason, catching the flywheel? No idea. I would doublecheck the transmission mount bolts, too.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:55 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Look here:
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Here
Attached Thumbnails New starter brings thumping + Grinding under feet after new tranny mount-transmission-mount-bracket.jpg  
Old 03-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Ask the mechanic where he purchased the starter and most likely it was a remanufacted product. I just went through this. I bought a re-man starter then a month later it was grinding on the first start up. Returned it for another re-man with the same outcome. Finally I had enough and paid the difference for a new starter and haven't had the issue since.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

And as for your transmission I doubt anything is grinding internally probably just a vibration
Old 03-29-2017, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by BlackXJay
Ask the mechanic where he purchased the starter and most likely it was a remanufacted product. I just went through this. I bought a re-man starter then a month later it was grinding on the first start up. Returned it for another re-man with the same outcome. Finally I had enough and paid the difference for a new starter and haven't had the issue since.
from my experience reading these forums, it's seems reman starters shouldn't even be bothered with. Too many stories like yours.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

my reman cranked about 1/3 of tries. had to jump it. new NEW starter is flawless,good every time.

say no to reman..
Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 AM

You guys are on to something..................
Old 03-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

note; i dont know why the reman sol would not pull in with key volts but did when jumped,,,other than the jump was direct to the red cable on the starter,stiffer volts?.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:17 PM

Year: 1999

So, in conclusion:

1. Reman starter, grinding during startup. Not normal, find another mechanic, purchase a new starter.

2. Grinding/vibration under seat during acceleration (after transmission mount work.) Just like Cruiser54's photo - the exhaust is prolly vibrating against the frame or crossmember.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

The transmission mount that was on the vehicle was probably OEM. The one that was installed was probably an aftermarket version. Many of those are not tall enough, and not as heavy-duty as the original. The result is that within a few hours of use, the exhaust pipe is rumbling on the cross member (as pictured above). The good news is that it is not a serious problem, just annoying. The bad news is that you will likely need to find an OEM, or higher quality mount, and have it installed. By the way the transmission mount can be easily replaced by a casual DIYer in about 30 minutes. (I actually did one on mine in 12.5 minutes once. Start to finish).

The reason I got so good at doing the transmission mount, was because the exact same scenario happened to me. Replaced the original with a cheap after-market version, and within 24hours had to order an OEM and replace it again. Exhaust was rumbling on the crossmember within about 12 hours after the job. The OEM part weighed almost 30% (more rubber, more metal, slightly larger).

Here is a post I wrote up after the fact to help warn others:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jee...anchor-227652/

Last edited by jordan96xj; 03-30-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:37 PM

Year: 1999

Crown makes an OE replacement transmission mount:
https://www.crownautomotive.net/Tran.../52002334.html
Old 03-30-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
By the way the transmission mount can be easily replaced by a casual DIYer in about 30 minutes. (I actually did one on mine in 12.5 minutes once. Start to finish).
But if you break one of the cross member studs like I did, it becomes a much longer task. Or if the old mount was collapsed, you may need to leverage the transmission back into the original position.

Wish I could wrench as fast as some of the more experienced members here.

OP, take note that the motor mounts also affect the transmission mount and should be replaced at the same time.

Quick Reply: New starter brings thumping + Grinding under feet after new tranny mount